Any word on a "24" DVD Release?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Simon, Apr 10, 2002.

1. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

In my opinion, 24 is one of the best shows I've seen on television in a long time. And it's also probably the most-deserving of a DVD release. After all, it's basically a 24 hour-long movie. Does anyone know if there are plans to release this on DVD in the near future? I know I'm dreaming, but I'd really like to see it on DVD this summer.
    Any news would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Rumor has it that Fox is going to reair the season again because so many people aren't watching it. The reason people aren't watching it is there to affraid of what they already missed. I love the show and can't wait for the DVD.

I've also heard a rumor that they want to put in some scenes for the DVD it mask the fade outs for commericals. I can see this happening but I don't know how true it is as I can't remember where I read it.

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

4. Reni D

Reni D Stunt Coordinator

I think " 24 " is a great show I really hope FOX release it on DVD. The thng with it the word got out to late that the show is good and now people would be lost if they start watching it. Let ju hope the rumors are true and the DVD is on the plans

5. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I heard second hand from one of the show's directors (not Stephen Hopkins) that they plan to release the DVD after F/X does a 24 marathon soon after the final episode. So it shouldn't be too long a wait.

6. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I dont see the appeal of the show. The concept is alright but I don't know what all the fuss is about. Are we supposed to believe that this is the most exciting day (24 hours) in the history of the world?

Sort of like how CSI wants you to believe that an otherwise boring job is super exciting.

7. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

[Sgt. Oddball* impersonation]

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

[/Sgt. Oddball impersonation]

*aka, D. Sutherland

Edited to get the correct quote... thanks IMDB.com!

8. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

IMO, it's the best show on TV right now.

Fox's 480p 16:9 broadcast is quite nice (even if it isn't hi-def). It'll translate perfectly to 16:9 DVD.

9. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

I'm a huge fan and never miss it, but I wouldn't watch it again/ or buy the DVD

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I haven't regularly watched any TV show for years, but I was intrigued by the pre-hype about 24 so I checked out the first show. Well, it got me hooked and I haven't missed an episode. I usually tape them and watch later sans commercials. It's had some ups and downs, but in the final analysis I can't wait to see what the next show will bring, so I'd call that a good program.
    The big draw for me is that I want to see what's going to happen next. Not knowing what's going to happen to these people keeps you on the edge of your seat. I'm not sure it will have the same appeal once that element is gone. I'd love to see this show in better quality like a 16:9 DVD (I have an HDTV but not a STB yet, and the local Fox channel hasn't started digital broadcasts anyway - next month I think). But I don't know that I'd really want to sit through over 18 hours ever again, already knowing what is coming. Not sure I'd buy a DVD set, especially considering how it would probably be 7-discs and maybe over $100. But who knows?
    I think it may depend on how satisfying the ending is. We'll see in the coming weeks.

12. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

Was this show originally made for 16:9? Here in Denmark it's shown in 4:3 and it's the one thing that's bad about it. It makes it have that TV "quality" feel to it, whereas 16:9 shows such as Sopranos have a much more film like feel to them (for obvious reasons).

Here's hoping the DVD will be 16:9.

13. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

Chalk me up as another who never misses an episode yet wouldn't buy the series on DVD.

I just don't think I'd have the patience to sit through 18 hours of this if I already knew what was coming. Even though I love the show, I find myself rolling my eyes at some of the developments (especially in the last few episodes). Amnesia is such an overused and unoriginal plot device. Couldn't they have come up with something better?
    It all works okay on TV, but truthfully, I feel as though they're artificially dragging it out just to fill up 24 episodes.

But as Glenn said, the ending may change everything. There is supposed to be some super-secret whizz-bang of an ending, so if it is really great, I may have to reconsider.

Back to the thread topic, I remember reading on Dark Horizons a few months ago that one of the creators of the show said that the chances of the show coming to DVD were "nil". But that was when the show just started. Perhaps the recent ratings upswing may change that. (?)

-Kelly

14. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I'd buy it the second it arrived at the store. I cant wait for this DVD set!!!

15. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Excellent show....period. That being said I agree with the last 2 episodes being too "sopa opera" like. If they do put it on DVD I would buy it in a heartbeat. I think if they don't issue it on DVD they would literally be throwing money out the window.

16. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

I think part of the reason that it begs for a DVD release is that it appears they filmed more footage than what is shown during its original airings. After all, during the commercials they often show show brief clips of what's supposedly happening to the characters during the commercial. This implies that there's at least a few more minutes that could be added to each episode, possibly extending each episode from 44 minutes to nearly 50 minutes, and addition of over 2 hours when viewing the series as a whole.

17. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I'll sign the petition.

Oh.

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

For this show, I pop my anti-anxiety meds before watching, it is (usually) that intense. Except for the two "soapy" episodes, as has been said.

DVD? I would get it if it was as cheap as Sex in the City's season box sets. I wouldn't get it if it was as expensive as the Star Trek Next Generation box $ets.

Why? Because with this sort of plot, watching it a second time after you know what side everyone is really on can be fun. Not as thrilling as before, but satisfying, sometimes.

19. Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner Stunt Coordinator

Our household saved up 12 hours (from 12:00 AM to 1:00 PM, missing 1:00 AM to 2:00 AM) on our ReplayTV and then we watched all of them over a three day weekend.

We were totally enthralled by this series, it grabs you and doesn't let go.

We're saving up the second half of the series now, and will watch it again after May sweeps.

Interestingly enough we were able to end our first session with the show right as Jacks daughter and wife were rescued.
    leaving it at a really good stopping point.

I'd buy this series on DVD in a heart beat, and of course it should be one set.

20. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Kelly, I think everyone agrees. I can almost picture the writers putting that development in the treatment and saying to themselves "lets not worry about how we'll actually pull it off when it comes time to write the actual script".