What's new

Any word of the 1980's Twilight Zone?.. (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if MGM or whoever owns the rights plan on bringing this show out on dvd? Some of the episodes are classic.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
The 1985 series had big shoes to fill and I think it did pretty well. Especially when you consider how truly bad the newest incarnation of the series is (hosted by the almost huggable Forrest Whitaker -- a quality not well-suited for a TZ host).

At least the 80's series tried to get the top sci-fi/horror/mystery writers (Bradbury, original TZ writer Richard Matheson, Straczynski, Stephen King, Harlan Ellison) of the day to do stories and that's what they got, as well as top directors like Wes Craven. And a lot of the actors turned out to be stars, just like with the original series.

My only wish is that it was done in black and white like the original, used the original TZ opening with the Serling narration, and that they stuck to stories that lasted 30 minutes -- not hour-long 2-part episodes or 2 15-minute episodes. The inconsistency killed.

I'm a huge fan of TZ (invested almost $400 in the original), so needless to say, I would buy these the second they came out on DVD. I'm actually surprised we haven't heard talk of them yet. For some reason, sci-fi series usually equate with good DVD sales.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I have wanted these for a very long time. I'm still holding on to my fuzzy Beta tapes! While TNT has been showing some of these from time to time, a few of the longer episodes are so butchered in the editing process that they are unwatchable. The forty minute "Paladin of the Lost Hour" being one of them.

Whoever has the right to this, I wish they would release it.

Ric

Rick P

Supporting Actor
The '85 series also had a great story editor/show runner in charge... he even got the RS's wife to let him go thru Rod's papers and found an un-produced story ("Our Sylena is Dying") that he ended up having completed for the series...

Fellow by the initals of JMS...

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I loved most of the first season of this 80's Twilight Zone.

Some of my favorites included:

- Shatterday
- [ the one where the woman found the sundial necklace ]
- Shadowman (probably my absolute fave)
- Nightcrawlers ( the one w/ the Vietnam Vet in the cafe )

~Jason

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I loved Shatterday as well, I even have the book which is a collection of short stories by Harlan Ellison. But I think my favorite was "To See the Invisible Man" That story just hit all the right chords with me.

BRING ON THE SECOND WAVE OF TZ!

Ric

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Yeah, there were some great episodes...

Shatterday
To See The Invisible Man
Profile In Silver
Her Pilgrim Soul
Voices In The Earth
Dead Run

Yeah, I'd probably buy 'em on DVD.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
No one has mentioned "The Cold Equations", one of the best episodes of any TZ series:

The premise (doesn't spoil the ending):
The story of an astronaut taking supplies to an ailing colony in space. Low on fuel, he realizes he must jettison most everything onboard just to make a safe landing. While removing the supplies, he discovers a stowaway -- a young girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks