What's new

Any word...Mr. Show Season 3/4? (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if a release date for the final two seasons for Mr. Show have been announced. I had heard Spring 2003 and that starts today.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I dunno- since the fist set was done almost exclusively to capitalize on the release of RUN RONNIE RUN, i don't know if there is any additional attention pushing the next release.

-V

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Which brings up another question...

Why doesn't New Line (who I think holds the rights) just release Run Ronnie Run straight to video if it doesn't have faith in it.

Doug

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
"Spring or Summer" according to this.

Anyway, Warner has not announced anything on this yet. That's up-to-the-minute info.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

It never hurts to shelve something if you might make more money in the future. With David as the narrator voice for Oliver Beene (a big hyped show on fox), and with other cast members with big movie profiles (Jack Black for example)-- New Line might be banking on the fact that if they hold it, they might get more money to sell it off or release it...

v

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I think Vince is right on the money...

We can at least hope that someday, RUN RONNIE RUN! might hit video with one of the minor players' faces blown up larger than Bob & David's. Were it my decision, I'd like to see Mary Lynn Rajskub become a breakout star. :D

I did hear, however, that the film was recut late last year to attempt to get it released again. I went to a benefit show that featured almost everyone from Mr. Show, and I briefly met Mary Lynn, John Ennis and Brian Posehn afterwards. Ennis told me that he was out of the original cut of the film but was back in the "new" version...

And if anyone disagrees, say so, but I think Oliver Beene is one of the worst things Fox has put on lately, discounting their ubiquitous slate of reality shows. David Cross' narration is the sole good thing about the show.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm disappointed that it's not going to be seasons 3 and 4, mainly because I watched the first set in one night! Does anyone know how many episodes we can expect?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I think season 3 was 10 episodes. So it will be the same as the 1&2 boxed set (There were 10 episodes total in season 1 and 2 as well, 4 in season 1 and 6 in season 2).

So the season 3 discs should be exactly like season 1&2.

Season 4 also 10 episodes- so expect 3 sets, each with 10 episodes.

-Vince

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
Better than that, Derek - DVDFile now reports that Run Ronnie Run is coming to DVD August 4! And I would guess that Warner would capitalize on that by putting out the third season of Mr. Show around the same time.

Finally, I get to see this movie! Everybody talks about it as if they've already seen it, even though it was never released. Let's hope there's no last minute decision to pull these titles...AGAIN!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Alas, there probably won't be a commentary or many extras for RRR. We should be thankful it's coming out. To bad they didn't record any of their recent live shows. Maybe next tour they say.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

The DVD includes deleted scenes, the Three Times One Minus One music video, lots of hidden Easter eggs, and bonus trailers. Retail is $24.98

JohnAP

Second Unit
Yeah, I can't imagine they'll wait too long for seasons three and four as I believe the first set did pretty well. Is it me or does it seem like this show is more popular now than it was when it was on?

RRR I've been expecting to go straight to dvd for a while. I know Bob and Dave are pretty sick of it and don't want to promote it or anything so a theatrical release is pretty much out. When I saw Mr. Show live, Dave called it a shit he and Bob took a while ago. With dvd, at least the studio can't recoup some of the money they're losing by everyone buying bootlegs.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
does it seem like this show is more popular now than it was when it was on?
That is definitely true, and the show was somewhat built on that idea.

For some interesting insights into Mr. Show, I highly recommend MR. SHOW: WHAT HAPPENED? a book by Bob Odenkirk's wife Naomi. as well as THE TENACITY OF THE COCKROACH, an interview book put out by The Onion A.V. Club.

In one of those books, they talk about how Mr. Show wasn't getting a whole lot of attention at the time, but the fan base increased every year, and they knew that it would increase even after the show was gone. I suppose you could say that was egotistical, but it proved to be right.

The Onion book features five different Bob & David interviews (one with just David), the last of which reveals a lot of the frustration over RUN RONNIE RUN. Turns out New Line didn't know or understand Bob & David's humor, and the film was pretty much taken away from them because of that. New Line just looked at it as another version of JOE DIRT.

I'm dying to see what version of the film ends up on the DVD. I've seen what is supposedly the first cut, which was turned in by the director, Troy Miller (who did the filmed segments for Mr. Show, but also directed the Michael Keaton crapfest JACK FROST (!) ). Bob & David eventually got a recut, but it was still not what they expected.

But the DVD has deleted scenes, so whatever ended up being filmed that Bob & David wanted in should be on the disc either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks