What's new

Any woodworkers in Ohio/Western PA willing to help a guy out? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I need some specific cuts made that would be best suited for a Tablesaw- and I'm not handy enough with a circular saw to make them clean and straight.

I'm wondering if there is anyone here in Ohio with some wood working experience and tools that might be willing to cut a few pieces for me (I will compensate you for your time of course).

-Vince

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be happy to help you out. but I'm about 3.5 hrs away just south of dayton. Depending on the size I could ship it to ya?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's kinda big- but I don't know what the limits on UPS are these days.

I need two pieces, probably of MDF (although a real clean cabinet grade ply that could be painted would be fine as well) at 1/2 inch.

The first is (I believe) 80 inches x 38 1/8th.

The second is about 30 x 50.

Probably too much of a pain to ship. It's too bad I don't have room or I'd just buy a table saw. I come up with so many projects, it would be worthwhile, it's just a raw issue of space.

-Vince

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I'd suggest having your local HD or Lowes cut it for you. If you're nice (which you are of course) they won't even charge you for multiple cuts. Now getting that size home is the trick.

Rob

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Most stores like HD will not make precision cuts, at least the stores around here won't. They just throw it on the panel saw and cut it down. It gets it close, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I corner the Home Depot guy and sometimes get him to cut every piece (to final size).. They mostly say "it's 50 cents a cut" after 3 free cuts.. To that, I respond go nuts, i'll spend the $5 to save me a whole day of messing around and MDF dust..

Craig

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
Real lumber yards, not Lowes or Home Depot, around the area I grew up had shops that would do precise cuts for a small fee. Most of them were family owned and very nice to work with.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Neither Lowes or HD will do precision cuts. I've asked, and they always say then can't come closer than within an inch or so...

I thought about calling the high school woodshop- but thought I'd appeal here...

-V

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I usually go in HD early morning and I tell him to cut it down to x (so it fits in my car) he gets it within 1/16". I tell him within an inch is fine since I can trim it up at home. But he nudges it back and forth anyway.

How about a regular lumber yard? You should also try contacting a local cabinet shop.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks