What's new

Any wood boat model builders in here? (1 Viewer)

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
When I was a kid I used to love the old plastic models of cars and planes and whatnot and when I got older I had the desire to start building more involved wooden boat models. I've had a couple of kits sitting around my apartment and just recently started working on this one Chesapeake Bay Flattie kit from Midwest. Its an entry level balsa wood model with mostly pre-cut and shaped pieces (only had to shape a few pieces from scratch), but I'm having a ball doing it. Just finishing the sail work and rigging now. After this I have a kit for a Swift from Artesania Latina.

Anyway, I know finding info on another hobby other than HT can be difficult sometimes, and was just curious if anybody else here enjoys this stuff as well and if so if they have any advice on other forums or places for questions I may have as I go through the process. (I did a search in the After Hours section here and didn't come up with much of anything)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Oh wow, those are nice. Building a full size kayak would scare me though...don't know if I would trust anything I build to actually be sea-worthy.

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott, best place to go right now on the web is probably http://forum.drydockmodels.com/ . There's an absolute wealth of information there and some extremely talented and knowledgable people. Pay special attention to anything jtilley or surcouf have to say. Some nice pictures in the gallery as well.

I wish I had started with one of the Midwest ships. My first build was an Artesania Latina and the frustration made me almost give up the hobby. I've since sworn off any of the continental kits other than Caldercraft. Right now I'm in the process of scratch building the Continental frigate Hancock.

Greg

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Scott and Jay - ChesapeakeLightCraft kits are typically very easy to make. They sponsor a number of family build-a-boat events on the Chesapeake Bay where an adult and child build full size boats with minimal assistance.

Family Build a Boat

A great outfit !

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Awesome, thank you very much for that link Greg. I spent a little time reading through some of the info they have online last night and it definitely seems like an "HTF" equivalent (well, as close as one could come).

So it sounds like I'm in for a fun time with my Swift model. I guess Artesania Latina has some nice models but it sounds like their instructions suck. Like you mentioned, fortunately I started with something nice and easy (Midwest) and can try to build off my experience from that. I was doing some research on those Caldercraft models as well, and I'm almost positive what my third model will be now (assuming the Swift doesn't put my in the loony bin).

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I don't like the Latina models one bit as the instructions are horrible, the quality of castings is pretty bad and the historical accuracy is a travesty. That said, they serve a great learning purpose in that they're cheap and if you screw something up, no big deal. On the other hand, you need to be able to keep the frustration factor in check.

My personal opinion is Caldercraft and Model Shipways are the best, with Bluejacket just behind them. I currently own the Caldercraft Granado and Convulsion and would highly recommend either. I also own about half the Model Shipways line and wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them.

Also, if you weren't aware of the following

www.modelexpo-online.com - great site for kits, tools, wood, etc. They own the model shipways line. I'd recommend the Sultana or Armed Virginia sloop for the second kit and put the Swift on eBay. Nice thing about Model Expo is if you foul a part or something is missing, they'll mail you a new one right out.

www.dlumberyard.com - wood and they sell highly specialized kits for plank on frame construction. I'd also recommend the Lively for a second kit.

www.micromark.com - best site for modelling tools.

www.seaways.com - seaways ships in scale is a great beginner-middle level magazine. Get a subscription to this ASAP

Good luck with whatever you choose. As you've probably noticed it's a great winter hobby and not such a bad way to relax after work.

Users who are viewing this thread