What's new

Any western fans got The Virginian on R2? (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They kind of snuck it out in R2, but when I happened on The Virginian at play.com for £5.99, I had to have it. A Universal DVD of this famous 1946 Paramount western (Univeral have the rights to all pre-1950 Paramount movies) starring Joel McCrea and Brian Donlevy, it's another example of early three-strip Technicolor and Universal has shown that it's not only Warners than can produce high quality transfers of classic colour movies.

In the main it's quite excellent, coming off a restored, or at the least a pristine, print. The only bum note - and it's quite a big one as far as I'm concerned - involves the titles. Up pops the Paramount logo and then we have titles that look as if they are lifted from a (bad) Tex Avery cartoon, backed by a cheesy 'western' theme which features some awful strumming electric guitars. These cannot possibly be the original titles or main title music!

They must be new titles possibly created (possibly for TV for some obscure reason) when the copyright was renewed in 1973. I can't tell you how bad they are, creating the wrong mood completely - skip past them, close your eyes and ears. Can anyone else back me up on this, or am I way off beam?

If, when, the movie is released in R1 with the original titles restored I'll buy again. Until then - and I can't stress enough that the film itself is quite lovely - this well do.

---
So many films, so little time...

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
I am still waiting for the Clint Walker's (Cheyenne~ Bodie) "Yellowstone Kelly" with Ed Burns(Kookie kookie lend me your comb on 77 Sunset Strip). John I hope we both get what we want, enjoy the rest of your summer weekend.:)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
There is also another version of "THE VIRGINIAN" made in 2000 with Bill Pullman and Diane Lane. I don't think it's on DVD yet though.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I didn't know that this title was released. I'll check it out. Thanks, John!

BTW, I'm also waiting for a DVD version of The Virginian TV series in the early 60's that was based on this film.

Cees

Derek_McL

Second Unit
The only Virginian worth talking about I thought was the early talkie (1929,the original version I believe) with Gary Cooper uttering "yup" for the first time ! I suppose there isn't much chance of seeing that on DVD. Thanks for the tip about the 1946 version John for that price it might be worth checking out.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
John,

I never saw the 1946 version of The Virginian, but it was always on my "once to buy" list.

I have 1956 The Man From the Alamo on VHS. A splendid movie with a somewhat unusual plot line (very interesting, BTW). One of the typically good, but not (stereo)typical, Westerns of those days. Good action.
I wasn't aware of that release on DVD either.

Have to force myself to pay more attention to European releases!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks