Any Webb Wilder fans out there?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Steve Elias, May 5, 2004.

1. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for recommendations and advice.

I purchased doo dad when I found it in the $4 bin some twelve years ago, and I have been enjoying it ever since. A pleasant find/surprise at a bargain price. I've recently located the official Webb Wilder site and learned that there are at least four other albums in existence, all OOP of course.

Before I begin trolling through ebay and the like, would you please advise me as to which of the other albums I should start with given my fondness for doo dad. Are they all the same in sound and tone and so on, or are they fairly distinct from one another? Also, if you have a hot tip regarding where I might find one or more of the OOP CDs, please enlighten me. Thanks.

-Steve Elias

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I like him. His popularity base was in the southeast. He was out of Nashville. He used to do funny radio spots for the University of TN's 90.3 radio station here. He billed himself as the "last of the full-grown men". He had the Webb Wilder creedo too, which was something along the lines of, "...live hard, rock hard, drink hard, eat hard, grow big, and wear glasses if you need 'em..." That bit was on the radio so much that I proably just got it word for word...?

I've got DOO DAD too and I had it out recently for my "Covered" recording project. I love his I HAD TOO MUCH TO DREAM LAST NIGHT cover. His most popular song as best as I can remember was HUMAN CANNONBALL from the HYBRID VIGOR album. You should look for it. I remember liking another album by him, which proably one of my friends had, but I cannot recall it's title...? I just have the two myself.

His creedo worked for me. I grew big but didn't have to wear glasses. [​IMG]

3. John K Carter

John K Carter Stunt Coordinator

I have doo-dad, Hybrid Vigor & It came from Nashville.

Of the three I favor Hybrid Vigor the most. You may have missed it, but the site has mp3 samples of all the tracks on each cd.

4. Steve Elias

Thanks Rachael. Thanks John. I'll start searching for Hybrid Vigor. I did see the mp3 option on the web site, but for reasons I am currently unable to make use of them (it's a story). And yes, Rachael, you have accurately remembered the creedo that I read for the first time a few minutes ago on the web site. Thanks again.
    -Steve

BTW Rachael, you use the past tense but I noticed he is still touring on a limited schedule. I might be able to fanagle a trip to see him in Arlington, VA in October. Then again, I might not.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Steve, I didn't know he stille toured till I looked at his website last night. Apparently, I added the DRINK HARD to his creedo as it was on his site. I used to recant the creedo to my nephews and add STUDY HARD. It worked for them too. They grew really big and smart. After looking at the album covers on the site, I realized that IT CAME FROM NASHVILLE was the other album I've heard. I've never heard ACRES OF.

I'm suprised he's not made a couple of indie albums to sell on his site and at his concerts. I'd buy one. I bet he's much easier to find in the used shops around here than elsewhere. He was quite popular around these parts. [​IMG]

6. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

No one has mentioned TOWN AND COUNTRY, so here goes.

TOWN AND COUNTRY

Some wonderful covers on this cd. It's worth it just for Streets of Laredo (The Cowboy's Lament).

7. Steve Elias

Hybrid Vigor has been located, ordered, and paid for. I suspect the other albums (Town and Country sounds like fun)will also find there way to my door. Thanks again for the information.

Rachael - Your probably right about the great majority of used albums hanging around the Southeast. I've searched all of the stores within 30 miles of my home in Southern California with no luck beyond finding additional copies of the one album I already have, doo dad.

Steve

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Steve, you're gonna like HYBRID VIGOR. Human Cannonball is one of the best rock songs that I've ever heard. It should of been a big hit but you know how that goes. Next time I'm at the Disc Exchange I'll see if Webb stille has a slot. I may snag one of the ones I don't have, hopefully. ACRES OF..sounds like one I'd like to have. I remember nearly buying it a few times in the not so recent past. I'll report back. [​IMG]

9. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I'm going to nominate No Great Shakes from ACRES OF SUEDE as another one of the best rock songs that I've ever heard. Rachael, let me know what you think once you've found ACRES OF...

IMHO, Webb deserves more respect, he carries the mantle of good ol' hot rock and roll in these cold, corporate times we live in.

The world needs more WW.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Steve, the last of the full grown men no longer has a slot at The Disc Exchange. I'm second on the waiting list for a copy of AOS should a used copy appear. I wish he'd make some new albums for independent labels.[​IMG]

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Holla, peoples of earth! Webb has a new album out, and et's finger-lickn' gooo-ood. It's about time he struck the music scene again so, apparently, he called it ABOUT TIME. It's one rockin' album according to Miss Missy From Ol' Hong Kong....[​IMG]

www.landsliderecords.com

www.webbwilder.com