What's new

Any way to tell if a movie is shown in dts at your local cinema? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
AMC 30 here in Houston use to show the dts intro on some featured movies..I see that the movie posters have the dts logo...so how does one tell if there is no intro that dts is the decoding method used by the theater? The last one I remember was The Matrix and it was awesome in dts as was LW 4! ANother question, how many out there have seen a THX movie at an properly setup theater lately and which movie was it? Thoughts??

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's mostly an issue of theaters wearing out their THX/DTS/DD trailers and/or just not bothering to splice them on. Our theater lists the sound format on the little sign outside the theater telling what's playing in there.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Our theater lists the sound format on the little sign outside the theater telling what's playing in there.
Same here...but it seems almost impossible to find out whether a particular movie you want to see is playing in the DTS auditorium or not. I've called and asked...no clue. I've asked at the ticket window...no clue. Seems the only way is to buy the ticket and roll the dice. Both the Regal and the Hollywood Cinemas here are the same way. If they would put the audio information on the marquee, it would make things much easier.

Bruce

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Go through the theater, typically they only have one kind of decoder in each, write it down, call them up and ask the theater # it's in.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The only way you can tell for sure is from the projection booth. I used to be a projectionist and I remember times when either a film advertised as SDDS got bumped to a mono house with the SDDS trailer still attached or a stereo film in a stereo house played in mono because the projector wasn't set up properly.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Honestly... In this age of Super-plexes... Most if not all house have some form of digital...

Could be DTS / Dolby Digital / or SDDS....

Does it really matter WHICH format it is as long as it is presented in DIGITAL?

Dugger

Keir H

Second Unit
Thanks guys for the replies...I figure most are DD being part of some sort of contract or something. I just know from the few dts movies I have seen are fresh on my mind as standing out very well....went to see Nemo at a top notch theater (Edwards, I-10) and it seemed as if the sounds was either too compressed or the volume not turned up enough..where as seeing James Bond latest there made me wince when Q showed James the ring the first time! I dunno..maybe most dont care too much about those things but I am an avid dts lover and would love to know where to find a feature film that has it for sure....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks