1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to "reset/reboot" my Yamaha RX-V1200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    We had a power surge the other night (a couple actually) and it phucked up the display on my Yamaha RX-V1200 receiver. a bunch of the characters are screwed up/half missing etc. For example when I turn to phono it says PHONOZ. Is there any kind of breaker or anything on the reciever. Everything else works fine (AFAIK) If I cant get if fixed, I will need to run it through my homeowners insurance, or the company that makes the surge protector that didnt protect.

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Charles, did you try unplugging it from the wall outlet for awhile?

3. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Yeah, I tried unplugging it for a few minutes, but I know from moving last month that the actual memory doesnt clear out just from being unplugged. It may never clear unless its unplugged long enough to burn down the battery that runs the ROM chips, which would probably cause a whole other problem in that your settings would never stay. I am probably going to make a claim with the surge protector company because my home owners insurance has a $500 deductable.

[rant]I am just getting really tired of surge protectors that dont do crap. I have had countless stuff fried over the years that just ended up getting replaced because of the age (I'm sure the surge protector mnfrs love consumers doing this since other wise how would they make any money of a $15 surge protector that wont protect anything and is hooked to a $3000 computer). My parents had three computers fried that were connected to $30-$50 surge protectors, and now they finally have a $80 UPS which has worked so far. All of the computers, and my receiver did not involve any type of lightening strike, they were all power surges from when the power came back on after an outage. I will have a hard time justifying spending any large amount of money on a better solution considering we just moved into our first house and need a lot of stuff, but does anyone have any suggestions that WORK. Its fine and dandy to have a $25,000 warranty on a surge protector, but the hassel of making a claim doesnt seem worth it. I'd rather just have something that works.[/rant]

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Charles, that's very good rant! I agree entirely that any warranty "fix" isnt as good as not suffering the surge hit in the first place. No comment on reinitializing the Yamaha
    [​IMG]
    It's time to look at better surge protector/power centers. You can find several units at the $200 level and at the $330 level.
    It the past two years, several makers have produced consumer level surge protectors that no longer rely entirely on sacrificial MOVs or metal oxide varistors that will take any number of hits then fail altogether, sometimes when you least expect it. This is the old "warranty" or replacement method.
    Panamax MAX 5100 HERE claims its "SurgeGate" technology doesnt need Joule-rated MOVs.
    Really nice packages in the true Series Mode surge technology are found in ADCOM ACE-315 (~$219) and ACE-615 (~$315). Series Mode is supposed to stop surges cold without deteriorating. It's the same as offered by www.brickwall.com and the original license developer, www.zerosurge.com
    I dont own it, but I happen to have the feature list for the ACE-615:
    *2 always-on outlets
    *4 switched outlets
    *2 switched outlets with 10-second delays for amps
    *1 12V trigger input
    *1 tel fone and output
    *2 F-terminal coax sets for SAT and cable coax
    I wud recommend one of these, or Panamax MAX 5300 if you decide to spend more for more features, for something that works and keeps on working.
    Might be worth it living in a stormy part of the country.
    bill

5. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    The thing is, many of the high end surge protectors don’t provide filtering for phone and cable, so even if I spend mega bucks on a brickwall or similar (which I think it's absurd to spend 50%+ of the value of some of your more expensive components to keep them safe) I must still rely on a pretty cheap unit to filter cable and phone (for TiVo). I guess we'll see how the claim works out as far as working with this company (don’t even know who the company is or what their warranty process is, since I had to go out of town for business) but I can predict a few things.
    a) they will generally be a pain in the ass to work with.
    b) they are probably going to want me to go through my homeowners insurance first, which will suck since my deductible is 75% of the value of the receiver.
    c) they will want me to perform some unbelievable act of inconvenience to me which will probably include shipping the surge protector to them to be examined (even though it never tripped) shipping the receiver off for repair (probably at my own cost) and probably being without the receiver for the rest of the summer. [​IMG]
    d) after all this, the receiver will probably come back from "repair" in worse shape than I sent it in with some other major problem or cosmetic damage from shipping or repair work.
    Call me a pessimist, but I think insurance and warranties are the biggest pain in the ass. If you don’t want to honor them, get out of the business. You are not in the business to take peoples money and then hassle and harass them out of trying to make a claim.
    I think the thing thats got me down the most, is that I am about to go through all this trouble, and there is no guarantee that it wont happen again, and my fiance will shit if I tell her that I want to spend $200, $300, $400, etc on a "surge protector".

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

7. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    My fiance is going to call me tonight with the company so I can try to figure out what to do about making some kind of claim (like I said, I'm on the road for work). It was a pretty cheap unit, but I guess I'm upset about the fact that its a surge protector, it has 1 job (!!!!!) to do, and it didnt do it. [​IMG] I will be posting the whole story as it unfolds.
    Maybe one of the mods could change the title, since this has kind of turned into a surge protector thread.

8. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well, we had another power outage tonight, and now the amp is fried (at least the front two channels. I am pretty freaking pissed. This thing is worthless. Its a Belkin BTW.

9. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Charles, what a bummer...feel your pain!

I know talking about surge protectors isnt sexy, hence the low readership such posts get on forums. I cud care less what people hook up, it's just that I got caught up in reading on what's out there for A/V, like Belkin.

Belkin, like TrippLite, is a very big supplier of consumer and industrial computer and A/V equipment. I am using a Belkin SurgeMaster II for A/V plus a Belkin 450VA UPS on my computer station (and it's worked).

So perhaps you were using a smaller Belkin unit, or just as likely, it reached the end of its capability after numerous hidden surge/spike hits. Some of the better units have a PROTECTED LED light, but who eyeballs his/her surge protector every day!?

10. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Actually, not to argue with you, but to address some of your points...
    a) yes, its a smaller Belkin unit, in fact its a wall mount (ie it plugs into both the outlets in a normal duplex, and expands the outlet from 2 to 6) and it was pretty cheap
    b) its only been in operation for 1 month since I bought it after I moved into this new house
    c) it is a SurgeMaster series
    d) since it is a wall mount unit, I can see the green "protected" LED from my seat every day, and it still has not tripped.

I dont know if its the lower joule rating, cheaper components, longer time before the protection kicks in or what it is about cheaper units that doesnt seem to work. I do think its ironic that it is the cheapest units that they probably have to pay the most claims on. I am glad your units have worked. I did not post the brand just to bash them, but someone asked. It would be absurd to think that the cheapest product a company makes is an indication of how the most expensive product they make, however, if a company cant make a product that works under a given price point, then dont.

I will most likely replace this unit with a small panamax (new 4000 series).

11. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Charles, I'm on your side, and I apologize if I sounded pedantic or condescending[​IMG]
    Putting the Belkin saga behind you, the Panamax 4300 is very nice and designed to keep working:

12. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    No, Bill, I took no offense to your orignial post at all. I am pretty sure that is not my unit, but I got a hold of Belkin today and they have started the claim process except for they need the model number (I'm still out of town) and a written estimate for repairs or assertion that it is not repairable. With the complexity of modern receivers, I cant believe that it would be worth repairing, but I would be honestly happy to get it fixed (correctly) or a cash settlement. Its probably going to be a long process though, at least a few weeks.

PS Does anyone know the difference between the 4300 and the lowest 5000 series (5100 I think) besides number of outlets? Im having trouble finding any difference from the Panamax website.

13. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Charles, I understand and sympathize with your frustration and what seems to be the never ending target practice on your audio equipment. Once this is past and the issue has been resolved in some way, I hope you have the time to post how Belkin resolved the matter and what you found personally in dealing with them. Also I'm most interested in what you'll find your overall financial audio picture to be after its all said and done. Like did you have to absorb a financial loss or was the worst of it the paperwork and time. Hang in there!

15. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone. I will definately post how this all works out, but my spirits were lifted by the general attitude of the Belkin rep I spoke to today.
    Best case scenerio, I have to obsorb no costs, worst case, they examine the surge "protector" and say there was no surge and there must be something else wrong with my stereo. In-between case I have to absorb anything from some small shipping costs, to some cost of getting a repair estimate, etc. Worstest case, I have to claim it on my homeowners insurance which means that by the time they subtract the deductible, I would only have enough money left over to get a better surge protector but nothing to plug into it [​IMG]

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i guess you're aware that anything that's connected to your system...phone lines, cable wire, also provides a point of egress for surges, spikes, etc. Was the cable also plugged into a surge suppressor? If not, Belkin may find and it may very well actually be, that's how things got fried.

17. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Charles,

If it doesn't go well with the surge protector maker then you may want to call your local utility and see if you can make a claim. Last resort is insurance.

Kevin

18. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well Kevin, my fiance may be calling the local utility company anyway, because the whole incident is rediculous. If you can follow this whole multi-topic thread you will notice that what happened is the power went out about 4-6 times on Saturday. The first time, it was raining, but not really storming too bad (not for Nebraska standards anyway). Then it went of 3 or 4 more times after the weather had completely cleared up (ie it was cloudy and cooler, but no rain and no wind.) At this point everything appeared to be working fine, but on Sunday I noticed the display on the receiver was messed up. So at this point, I made the dumb mistake of not unplugging everything and starting the claim process with the surge protector company. So then I leave town on business, and I find out Monday night that the power went out 3 or 4 more times on Monday, (also during a period of normal weather) which is what took out the actual amps in the receiver. So, to make a long story short, RE: your comment about the utility company, everything since the original power outage seems to have been caused by the utility company trying to fix something.

Now, as I have mentioned earlier in the thread, I would be just as happy with a fixed unit as a cash settlement, but what do you think the chances that this unit can be repaired given that there is something wrong with, at least, the amps and the display?

19. MarcEM

MarcEM Extra

I'm pretty new around here and I don't post unless I have anything worthwhile to contribute. I live in South Florida where it has been raining everyday for the last, I think they said 23 days[​IMG] .
    Not to mention that South Florida is the lightning capitol of the universe! My lights flicker constantly. I am using a Monster Cable AV800 and have had no problems in the 3 years that I have used it. My neighbor upstairs just came home to find his new Toshiba Widescreen TV toasted. He wouldn't take my advice. These things do work!!
    Invest now, you'll thank yourself later.
    Good Luck
    Marc

20. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter