Any Way to Improve Mozilla Firebird Bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Larry Talbot, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Thanks to a post on this site I recently switched from IE to Mozilla Firebird for my browser. On my sad 56k connection, I can now surf the net twice as fast as I could with IE. I only wish I had known about Firebird earlier, it's a huge improvement.
    The only thing I miss about IE is the bookmarks. The bookmarking system for Firebird is pretty pitiful in my experience. Are there any plug-ins that can improve this?

2. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Larry, could you be more specific about your gripes with the bookmarking in Firebird? I've been using it since its inception and I've been very happy with it.

In the toolbar, I've placed folders so that I can have quick access to the sites I need. For example, I've got a 'News' folder in the toolbar which contain the bookmarks for CNN, Star Tribune, Timeasia, New Yort Times, and CNET.

Needless to say, I've also got HTF as a single click in the toolbar, so it's always a single-click away.

But I'd be happy to hear about more efficient ways to bookmark.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The bookmark manager in Firebird is crap and desperately needs sorting out. IE has a really simple feature - 'Sort by name' but alas with FB you have to sort manually. I know the bookmark manager has a sort option but it never makes any difference to mine.

IE's way of handling bookmarks - as simple .html files within normal folders - is just better.

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You can always use an external bookmark editor, do sorting etc on the file until it is the way you want it and then reimport.

You could also use an external bookmark manager to completely bypass the internal bookmarking, if you prefer.

My favourite used to be Compass, but unfortunately it hasn't been updated in quite a while and can't handle modern browsers. There are quite a few to choose from however; the link below should list a whole slew of them over at download.com :

http://download.com.com/3150-2370-0.html?tag=stbc.gp

5. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    The bookmark manager in Mozilla Firefox is much improved. To sort by name all it takes is a simple mouse click. I'd recommend downloading it and giving it a try.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I tried FireFox and it looked basically the same as FireBird. Apart from the download manager I honestly couldn't see any difference.

7. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    To sort by name in Firefox, just click Manage Bookmarks under Bookmarks, click on the folder or folders you want sorted, then under View click Sorted By Name. Done.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The same as Firebird. Didn't make any difference to how the bookmarks appear, at least not on mine.

9. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Strange. Seems to work with me. [​IMG]