Any way to have an application run as you shutdown?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I am running the SETI command line version with SETI Driver to cache workunits. I downloaded a program from SETI Driver that when you run it closes SETI Driver and thus the command line application as well. Is there any way to make this little program that closes SETI Driver run automatically when I shut down? Other wise when I shutdown, if I forget to manually close SETI Driver, I get the warnings that the program must be shut down before my computer will shut down.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Are you running XP? I know there is a startup/shutdown script feature for XP- I assume it also exists in 2000, and might be a way in 98 as well (never tried, but there is no group policies in 98, so it would have to be done differently...).

Create a batch file that has the command line you want to run. Save it in the root of C:

From the Start menu, select "Run..." & type "gpedit.msc".

Double click "Windows Settings" under "Computer Configuration" and double click again on "Shutdown" in the right window.

In the new window, click "add", "Browse", locate your batch file & click "Open".

Click "OK", "Apply" & "OK" once again to exit.

Now, that batch file will run on shutdown.

-V

3. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    I actually want to do it on two machines, one 98 and one XP. I'll give it a try, thanks.

4. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    There is no gpedit file in windows 98. I will have to find another method for this PC.