Any way to get T2 (WM9) to play from Zoom-Player?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Ruiz, May 30, 2004.

1. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

I didn't know where else to post this, and since this is a software question, I decided to put it here.

The WM9 trailers that I downloaded from Windows Media 9

were able to be played through Zoom-Player.

But I tried to play the WM9 files of T2 off of the DVD, through Zoom Player, and it gave me an error. Is there ANY way possible to play those files using that program?

2. Michael Qualen

Michael Qualen Stunt Coordinator

Just use the crappy Interactual player and be glad that U live in he US and that U are in fact ABLE to play it...

It has to connect to somewhere to get that license-thingymajiggy, and then U can play it...again only in the US

3. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

As my HTPC isn't connected to the internet & I assume there are people in the US that are in the same boat, isn't there a way to get that license-thingymajiggy through someone in the US & transfer it to my HTPC?

Not knowing how the license works, this might sound like a stupid question, please educate me.

4. Michael Qualen

I dont think there is...The whole WM9 movie is "locked" and the only way to unlock it is to connect to get the damn license. I dont think U can get the license and transfer it to another PC, because the licence can only be used on ONE machine at a time...so U have to connect and go through the IP check to view the movie...and it sucks BIG time !

If ANYONE has a fix for this, please let us know...And the "just use a public US proxy"-thingy doesn´t work either (for non US people that is)

I too have seen the WM9 trailers and I want nothing more than to see T2 in this resolution...

5. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I bought the coral reef disc which doesn't need the license & it's good but not as impressive as D-VHS.

I'd love to see T2 in HD but my friend has scoured the net & can't find any way to do it outside the US.

6. Michael Qualen

I would like to see what D-VHS look like, but no real chance of that in Denmark...we are far far behind on that kind of techology...we dont even have HD yet

But I found a HD version of Shrek that was shown on HBO...I compared it to my DVD, and there is a pretty big difference !

I looked all over for a solution to the T2 problem as well...nothing

Btw...D-VHS is still on tape, right ?

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

There's a lot of discussion concerning ZoomPlayer, WMVHD titles, license aquisition, or a combination over at the AVS Forum. Just do an extensive search.

For right now, Blight (ZP developer) is beta-testing a new version that can support DRM license aquisition, but notes it will be more expensive to register, although it will still be very cheap, especially compared to products like WinDVD ($99). Also, while previous titles and the www.WMVHD.com titles require "phone home" DRM, newer titles such as "Coral Reef" have DRM on the disc.

8. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

That's the thing though, I can't!

Well technically, I can. I can use the Interactual Player, I can use the WM9 Player, but it's no use for me.

I have my computer hooked up to my 65" Widescreen HDTV through a Radeon card outputting a 1080i component signal. I can watch those WM9 HD trailers on my TV from my computer, but *ONLY* if I use Zoomplayer. If I use the WM9 program or Interactual Player, the screen looks like it has macrovision or something. It turns extremely dark (to the point where you can't see anything) and everyone looks purple.

When I open those files in Zoomplayer it looks the same as WM9, except that when I zoom out, the picture turns extremely clear.

Something is happening with the overscan of my TV. Somehow there is just too much overscan using WM9 or any other player, and this overscan is making my TV look purple. Since you can eliminate overscan completely using Zoom-Player, the picture is clearer than you can possibly imagine.

So, even though I can technically open the T2 files using those two programs, it does me no good, unless I watch them on my computer monitor (which is really tiny). I need Zoom-Player in order to see the movie on my TV (without it turning purple).

9. Michael Qualen

Well...then U cant watch it on your HDTV...U need a player that can handle the damn license thing

And stop complaining btw...at least U can actually BUY a HDTV in the US [​IMG]

10. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

God, I wasn't complaining! I was simply asking a question. How rude!

Should I be yelled at, simply because I bought an HDTV? I don't think it's fair to bash people for buying things that they want.

11. Michael Qualen

Wow wow wow...Easy now !

Boy did you take that the wrong way...Maybe I should have used a smiley or something...I never meant that to be a rude comment...I just tried to make a point that maybe you could just be happy with your HDTV and watching HDTV programming while others can only dream of it...nothing more

Again...sorry if you thought my comment to be rude...that wasn´t my intention [​IMG]

12. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Oh, well the way it was written sounded kind of rude.

I don't have cable, so HD programming is out of the question.

I only watch DVDs on my TV. I have a fair collection of 1,000 titles, so there's always something new to watch. In fact, 400 of those titles I have never seen.

The only way to enjoy HD is playing those 2 minute HD trailers in WM9 through Zoom-Player, so I'm not as lucky as you might think I am.

13. Michael Qualen

I just assumed that everyone in the US had cable and HD access [​IMG]

But still you have the option...I dont...But I guess it will catch on here too in a decade or so [​IMG]

14. Jesse Blacklow

David: Try the following instead. I haven't used Interactual for any WMVHD on DVD, and this works like a charm (for T2). It's not Zoom, and it's WM9, but I haven't had any problems with it:
    Let me know if it doesn't work.

15. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Thanks Jesse, but getting the license was not a problem I was having. I have acquired the license and it plays through WM player, but WM player distorts my TV, which is why I needed to play it through Zoom-Player which doesn't distort my TV.

Guess I won't be able to watch this HD movie on my TV, unless they release that Zoom-Player that downloads licenses from the internet. I wonder when they'll be done with it.

16. Michael Qualen

Jesse:

Have you ever heard of anyone outside the US being able to play this ?

17. Jesse Blacklow

Michael: Yes, at least a while back. Like I mentioned above, do a search over at http://www.avsforum.com for something like "t2 wm9 proxy". That should find a thread or two discussing it. You might need to set the requests to a longer search.

I know some mods on this board can get kind of upset about recommending other forums, btut I think in this case it's warranted. Some of the actual Windows Media programmers from Microsoft actually read and post over at AVS Forum (like studio people do here), and they've been pretty amazing. I wouldn't go so far as to say unofficial tech support, but certainly they've been open to questions/constructive criticism/requeusts and inquisitive as to our use of WMVHD.

18. Michael Qualen

Actually I tried that proxy thingy a while back, and it didn´t work...

But I decided to try it again, and I found out that you need to use a transparent US or Canadian proxy now...they are blocking the non transparent ones

And I FINALLY got it to work !!! And what a difference it is. Sadly I can only watch it on my 19" computer monitor, but it still looks very very good indeed

19. TomDaniel

TomDaniel Auditioning

Hi-

As of 6/1 there's a new Zoom Player WMV Professional which can handle DRM protected WMV files. Since I haven't made enough posts, I can't link it (stupid rule). But go to Blight's site and you'll see it.