Any way to get grease stains out of clothes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

OK, I'm tired of having to get rid of clothes (or relegate them to "around the house" use) that wind up with grease stains on them. The type of grease I refer to is from food, particularly popcorn oil or grease that splatters when cooking meat. I've tried Shout and even Dawn dishwashing soap, but nothing I've tried ever seems to removes these stains, which completely penetrate the fabric. There must be some sort of commercially available stain remover or a "witch's brew" home remedy I can try. What's been successful for you? Any suggestions?

2. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

How about a flame thrower....

Yep.... That would do it, eh?

Dugger

3. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Try "Simple Green" its availible at Home Depot or Lowes Warehouses. should work like a charm.

Eric.

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

There are citrus based products like Goo Gone and others that will take them right out. I'm notorious for spilling greasy foods on my shirts (also tomato based sauces seemed to be magnetically attracted to my clothing). Just squirt a little citrus based solvent on the spot and throw it in the wash. The stain is gone! (I'm wearing a shirt today that went throught 3 wash and dry cycles with a grease stain because I kept forgetting to treat it but my wife kept washing it (I take the blame, not her fault). So last night I just squirted Goo Gone on it, washed it, and no more stain.)

5. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

I second the suggestion of Simple Green. This stuff is amazing. Spray it on the grease stain at least a couple hours before washing. It needs time to work so you can't skip the wait time. I've sprayed it on days in advance and had no trouble with discoloration of cotton items. (As with all cleaning products, you should use it on a hidden spot first to see if it harms the material.) You'll end up with what looks like a horrible stain from the Simple Green, but it comes out easily in the wash. The Simple Green seems to pick up the grease and spread it out over a much larger area, making it easier for the regular laundry detergent to wash it away.

Simple Green is great for other cleaning jobs around the house too. It's non-toxic so you can use it in the kitchen. Great for cleaning up greasy stoves. It will even kill ants when sprayed full strength! Remember this next time you have an ant invasion in your kitchen.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Bill, I tried the Goo Gone last night and it worked like a charm. [​IMG] Just squirted some on the shirt, let it sit for a minute and rinsed it under the bathroom sink. A few hours later after it dried...voila! No more stain. I love that stuff and I always have a bottle around the house since it's great for removing adhesives. But I never considered using it on fabric. I'm sold now.
    Jay and Eric, I also have Simple Green at home, which I've used in the past to break down oil stains on my driveway. I will try using it on some old shirts that were stained long ago, but still show the marks. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

Here is another use for Simple Green. Spray it on your wheels/hubcaps before washing your car and all of the brake dust will come off like magic. Saves the scrubbing/black hands.