Any way to Close off openings in room? (rug?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlbertH, Jan 22, 2002.

1. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

I have a 12X17 room with a 2.5x6 and 2x6 opening where i can not put doors because of local ordinances (sp). Anywho, one opening (2x6.2) is right near the boiler room and adjacent room and the noise is driving me nuts. The other opening (2.5x6.2)leads to the stairs and then in turn to the next almost equal size room. I would like to know if there is anything i can put in front of both these openings to help keep noise out and in. I for one DO NOT CARE FOR LOOKS. They can be as ugly as all hell as i do not need to look at them because the room is PITCH DARK 99% of the time. The one for the 2.5x6 entrance needs to be movable to gain access to the room. [​IMG] Sorry for the unbelievably bad grammar, I'm not good at wording myself in these situations.

2. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

That's strange. What is the logic behind not allowing doors? Is it a safety issue of some sort? You may be able to hang some carpets on a board that would hang from a closet door type runner so it could be moved back and forth. I would think that you would need several for it to make any real difference in blocking out noise and I would think that it would be more of an obstruction than a simple door. Another thought...can you insulate the interior of the boiler room? Maybe put another layer of drywall on the outside of the boiler room? This might lower the level of the noise in the area. Bigger speakers and subs might be in order as well...just kidding.

Good Luck

Mark

3. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I don't know how this might improve sound isolation, but you could hang some thick drapes across the openings (could put them on a curtain rod so they can be opened and closed). Perhaps if you get some sort of thick backing for them, they may keep some of the sound inside the boiler room and prevent it from being such a nuisance in your HT. Maybe you could attach some insulation to the inside of them? (I have no idea how this would look but it popped in my head so I thought I'd share it).

Good luck!