any way to change the auto on off,on a plate amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I have a PE 250watt plate amp and its driving me nuts.My problem is it shuts off if its getting a low signal when watching a movie.If you go for mabey 10 min or so without some decent bass info it shuts down,the reason its buggin me is it is still getting some bass from the bass redirection on the recever but I guess it just not a high enough signal or something.

Is there any way I can modify the amp to shut off only when there is absolute no power to its inputs or is this just something im just stuck with. Thanks for the help...

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Joe,

Try turning down the volume knob on your amp to about 1/4 and then recalibrate using the receiver's internal sub output to make adjustments. This should do the trick for you. Worked for me!

Brian

3. JerryD

JerryD Extra

I have two of these in my system. Great amp for the price!

If your receiver or pre-pro has a subwoofer level setting, I think you can solve this by turning the level up a bit in the receiver or pre-pro and then adjusting the gain down on the amp to get the same SPL level you had previously. This will raise the signal level into the amps inputs so that it crosses the "on" threshold more often.

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Ive thought about doing that since my amp is wide open and my receiver is normally at -8db but Ive alaways read to run them this way.I used to run my old sub with the receiver all the way up and controled the vol at the sub I quess Ill go in between the two and see what happens.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Joe,

I see that recommended all the time but there's no way I could set the amp's gain wide open. Even with my sub out at minimum and my amp's gain half way, I'm way over calibration. But then with the master volume a little below normal listening levels the amp switches off and on too much.

Also, I hear a lot of people talking about a sub out control as well as an LFE control in their receivers. My Sherwood Newcastle strictly has a sub out level control so this may or may not make a difference. I guess it's also possible that my sub out voltage is higher than some and that may be a factor as well.

Brian