What's new

Any way to cap frame rate on PS4? (Projector + HDR issue) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I have an EPSON 'faux-K' projector (native 1080p, but does 4K by pixel-shifting). This projector can only do 4K HDR at 30fps or lower. This works just fine for UHD movies, as I play them at 24fps.

However for PS4 games that use HDR (Horizon Zero Dawn, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, etc). I cannot play them with HDR because the PS4 plays them above 30fps.

I was wondering if it is possible to force the PS4 to not go above 30fps, so I can see the HDR on these games. I've been through all the system settings on the PS4 and haven't found any option that would allow this to happen.

Edwin-S

Premium
In the few minutes that I looked, capping the frame rate seems to be more the choice of game designers than the console maker. Maybe check in the game settings of the game you are trying to play and see if it has an option to cap the output at 30FPS.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
In the few minutes that I looked, capping the frame rate seems to be more the choice of game designers than the console maker. Maybe check in the game settings of the game you are trying to play and see if it has an option to cap the output at 30FPS.

Yeah, I looked into that too, the issue is that the projector just goes off of what the PS4 sends it as 'supported' frame rates for that resolution, not 'actual' frame rates. So while the game itself could be capping the output at 5fps, the hardware itself is telling the projector that it's capable of higher frame rates, so the hdr is disabled in the projector.

I think without a specific option in the PS4 system itself to limit the frame rate, I'm hosed. Which isn't really a big deal in the end, the games still look absolutely fabulous in 4k without HDR. I was just curious if there were any workarounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurtlePen
Recent bookmarks