What's new

Any warning signs before SVS bottoms? (1 Viewer)

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Ming, I think many excellent subs bottom out on that THX trailer. I don't think that its a reasonable or realistic demo. I'm not sure what the point of that note in that demo is but I wouldn't expect any sub to do it anywhere near reference levels.

Mitch

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Ming, I think many excellent subs bottom out on that THX trailer. I don't think that it's a reasonable or realistic demo. I'm not sure what the point of that note in that demo is but I wouldn't expect any sub to do it anywhere near reference levels.
Hah... Those are not the words of basshead.

There are subs that can play that demo in large rooms without any strain. They just aren't small or less than several thousand dollars. You can always use more than one sub too.

I've found that the ship flyby's in ATOC are far more stressful on a system than that THX Cavalcade demo.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Pardon my ignorance, but what causes a sub to bottom out? Is it lower frequency sounds, high listening levels, or a combination of both? Cause I have a PE Plate amp and I use it for my 2231 CS, and there is an option to install a rumble filter, but I don't know if its worth it to install.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I'd dare say the THX Cavalcade still manages to bottom out the sub while the most bassiest others have failed.

On my BFD's bar graph at the same fixed volume, the Cavalcade is the few that hits the highest level with all the correct calibration and signal level adjustments.

I use Cavalcade trailer to test the limits of the BFD and set the max sub level before audibly objectional distortion from the SVS.

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
I never bottom my SVS on the THX demo, but I bottomed it on the sock explosion on monsters INC.

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Hah... Those are not the words of basshead.

There are subs that can play that demo in large rooms without any strain. They just aren't small or less than several thousand dollars. You can always use more than one sub too.

I've found that the ship flyby's in ATOC are far more stressful on a system than that THX Cavalcade demo.
I didn't say anything about two subs (just one). My dual SVS Ultras do the demo just fine. How's that Tumult working out for you :D

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I didn't say anything about two subs (just one). My dual SVS Ultras do the demo just fine. How's that Tumult working out for you :D
Well I just got the driver yesterday. Now I need to build the box for it. Actually to start it off, I need to get the wood so I can build the box for it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
OMG, Seth? What the hell have you been waiting for? You could've had the whole damn thing sitting there ready for the driver instead of coming up with all of these conspiracy theories. But that's another thread!:)

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Uh.... I guess I'm BAD. :) I've managed to bottom out my SVS Ultra more than once.
In fact, I've managed to knock the books of my daughter's bookshelves, too. Hehehehe :D

This supposedly will not hurt the sub unless one makes a habit of it. Hope so. I'm trying to quit. I really am.

The scene(s) that do it? We Were Soldiers "Broken Arrow", LOR Prelude (couple places). I've never bottomed on Monsters, but I usually can't play that at "decent" levels due to other folks in the room w/me for that flick.

Bottom line? I need another one!!

Gordon
Saving pennies for a second Ultra

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Gordon "Saving pennies for a second Ultra" Groff,

Good call.

Please remind us to talk you into a SVS-01 subsonic filter box too. It can help tame super low stuff that's only going to stress the woofer far below its tuning point and allow you to run the sub(s) that much harder.

Ron

Tim Hess

Second Unit
Man, how loud are you playing your systems? :)

I have my SVS gain set about '9 o'clock' for lack of a better measurement.

Calibrated with an SPL at Reference and I have never bottomed out. My room isn't that big, though I shook the house :)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I don't know about you guys but right before my 20-39CS+ bottoms out, this little midget guy wearing nothing but pink panties runs out from behind the sub and waves.

On second thought, maybe that's just the ether talkin'. :D

But seriously... With a subsonic filter at 16Hz, EQ'ing for flat room response and with one port plugged on my 20-39CS+, I've never bottomed it. And dammit, I've TRIED! But if I turn it up any higher, I'm going to break stuff in the house! That AOTC flyby reached near 118dB with only a flicker of the clip light on my Samson amp. And to think I almost bought a pair...

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I've got the "Jurassic Lunch" on this DTS Telarc Sampler. I definitely recommend it. Lots of variety.

Definitely my ultimate sub-killer demo, but I've never bottomed my 290L DIY Tempest (17.5Hz) with it or anything else. However I rarely approach reference levels either.

JKS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks