Any wait to get rid of paint stains?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by VinhT, Mar 15, 2004.

1. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

My favorite sweater and backpack accidentally got tagged with white paint today. Are they permanently ruined, or is there a way to remove the paint? I'm thinking about simply trying paint thinner, but I'm not sure it will work...

And just in case someone happens to know, the paint was being used on cinder block walls. So what type of paint would that be (oil, water, acrylic, etc)?

Sweater is 50% cotton, 50% polyester. Backpack composition is unknown.

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

It woiuld have been best if you tried washing the paint off immedietly. I walked into my house while a doorfram was being painted once, and got some of it on my jacket. Right away, I went and washed it off with a sponge. Barring that, I'm not too sure there's really anything that I can advise. Of course, all the other geniouses here on the HTF can help you[​IMG].

3. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

(EDIT: added "polyester" to plastic-based materials)

If it was latex paint (usually used for interior spaces; will work on cinder block if properly primed):
    As Mark said, your best bet would have been trying to wash it off immediately with cool soapy water. However, if the surface of your backback is relatively smooth (plastic/nylon/polyester), you might be able to just rub it off with the oil from your fingers. If the paint got on to porous material (like cloth) there is not much you can do once it has dried. Paint thinner does not work well in removing Latex paint.

If it was oil-based paint (more likely if this was an exterior wall):
    your best bet would have been to wash it off immediately with mineral spirits. I'm not sure what you can do once the paint has dried. Note that most paint thinners can dissolve plastic-based materials (like nylon/polyester).

I've removed small amounts of dried paint from plastic surfaces with a rag, isopropyl alcohol and some good old-fashioned elbow grease.

In any case, I doubt you can save the sweater once the paint has dried.

-Mike

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i agree with mark -- *immediately* wash with cold water.

most paint is somewhat water soluble, so you have a good chance of getting it off.

also, no matter what you do ... do not put your stuff in a dryer until you're satisfied all of the paint has been removed. once you put it in a dryer, if there is any stain left, it will permanently stain the fabric.

5. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

[​IMG]woah, that was the first time anyone on the HTF has ever agreed with me. Thank you the ted for this great honour. I would like to thank VinHT for starting the thread, and my co poster, MikeSerrano.

But seriously, Vin, you might want to take the jacket and backpack into the drycleaner. Who knows, they may have chemicals or some other doo dah that can fix it.

6. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

I've had reasonable results using Oops! on carpet.
    It's sole purpose is to remove dried latex paint (& permamnent marker). For a sweater, you'll need to let it soak for a while & use multiple applications.
    [​IMG]
    They usually sell this at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Scott

7. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    "Oops" is a good product and I've used it before, although not on a sweater. There is another one call "Goof-off" that works pretty much the same and can be found in hardware stores and discount stores that sell paint.