Any VW Golf owners here?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Aaron Reynolds, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    My wife and I (mostly my wife, because I don't drive) are looking at a new car. We were leaning towards a Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS because of a number of factors, not the least of which was the very favorable finance rate for the '03s and the low-ish price. Well, the place she was going to buy the '03 from turned out to have no '03s left by the time the deal was put together, and all they have to offer us now are '04s for more money and a much worse rate.

Meanwhile, we had looked at a VW Golf TDI while car shopping, and had decided it was a little too much money for us (but my wife loved driving it and it was extra-comfy inside). So, just as we find out that we can't get the Subaru, we get a call from the VW dealership to offer us the '03 VW Golf TDI GLS with the luxury package at a better finance rate than Subaru '04 and for only $1000 more once all taxes and discounts and whatevers are counted. Seems like a no-brainer, right?

So here are my VW questions.

1) we heard that repairs are expensive. True? Do they hold up well, or do they fall apart after a few years?

2) do they hold their value particularly well?

3) any reason we should or should not consider this car? Seems like a very good deal, and the worst thing (as far as we can see) about it is that the car we're being offered is not in our favourite colour: it's the silver one, and we'd rather have the black or the blue. [​IMG]

2. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Aaron,

I've no experience with the TDI's, but I'm on my 3rd VW so I can comment on their reliability some. I've currently got a 2000 VW GTI 1.8T, previous cars include an '88 GTI and a '90 Jetta GLI. I've had pretty good luck with all, but the current generation cars are quite a bit ahead in the fit & finish categories. I've been in a Subaru WRX, and I like the interior of my VW much better. Better feeling materials all around, not "cheap" feeling by any means. But you asked for reliability info...

So far, I've had to have both power window regulators replaced, outside of the official warranty period, but I called the VW of America "customer care" line and got them to eat the cost for both. This turned out to be a known defect that was resolved sometime around 02-03. The new ones should not be affected. The stock tires weren't the greatest, but I tend to push my car a little harder than the average daily driver. Fast wearing brake pads that cause a lot of brake dust on the wheels... hmmm, what else? A lot of "problems" are going to be engine-specific, so I really can't relate. There's an ongoing thread in this forum regarding diesel cars, and I think some TDI owners/fans contributed there, might want to PM them and see if they'll drop in here for a reply.

More info can be found at www.vwvortex.com and www.tdiclub.com

Good luck!
    -Brett.

3. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

4. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

5. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Its funny that you mention that, just 2 months ago my father was trying to make the same decision. We ended up choosing the golf, but then we found a good deal on a 2001 jetta TDI, so we got that instead. So far, we absolutely love the car. I've been doing quite a lot of reading at www.tdiclub.com lately, and specific to the TDI engine, the general opinion seems to be that repairs are few and far between, but they can be costly. The people at TDI club are VERY friendly, and they will be more than willing to answer any of your question. I also suggest reading the FAQ at the site. It contains much very helpful information. Since you are Canadian (as am I) you will also get to experience the reduced price of diesel, compared to gas (mostly in the states the gas is cheaper) and getting 1000km+ on one tank (~33$) certainly helps too. When we were comparing the new golf to the new Subaru, it was something like 2 years before the golf fuel efficiency made up for the higher price.

Hope this helped, but many more people know far more than I do at www.tdiclub.com, so you MUST check it out.

6. Gwon Chang

Gwon Chang Stunt Coordinator

I've been driving a GTI 1.8T for 2 years exactly now. I love the car... but, it has been in the shop more than I would have liked. Nothing serious, mind you, but it has spent it's fair share of time there.

Some things to think about:

1. The stock suspension of the GTI is "sporty", but even with that designation, is quite mushy. I can only imagine how bouncy the Golf suspension will be.

2. Creaks and rattles seem to be pretty common problems with these cars. I had one that no one could find, and I finally found it and had to silence it with a shim of cardboard. Now the only rattle I get is from the button on my e-brake. It's a bit loose and will tinkle at certain speeds.

3. I've read and know from first hand experience that the windshields that VW uses are kind of weak. I had a small chip one winter and it became a nice 8" crack. Insurance covered it, but in searching the VWVortex and talking to my windshield repair guy, I found that the windshields are pretty weak.

So, even with those negatives, I LOVE MY CAR. It's speedy, holds a ton of stuff (1 4x10 TE cab, 1 1x15 Ashdown cab, and a couple basses fit in just fine!), and is a kick in the pants to drive. The Vortex is a helpful site. The articles are well written and informative. But don't go expecting HTF style forums. Those forums are full of kids wanting to go fast and mod their cars... Oh well.

Enjoy!

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    the link to the 2005 golf says that the golf is over 30 years old, but if i am correct, the golf was first introduced in 1985. i like the look of the new one though

CJ

8. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

9. Zak Solo

Zak Solo Agent

I have a Golf GTi 1.8 Turbo.

It is the most comfortable car in its class. I drive long distances pretty regularly and find that when I arrive at the destination I am still very relaxed and don't feel that I have just driven for hours on end.

I would say however that I have had the Standard ECU removed and a 'Performance' chip replaced. The replacement chip is the Chip for the Audi TT. The cars are built on the same chassis and share numerous components including suspension and engine. So I didn't feel I was going to put any undue stress on the car. I also have around 195 BHP at the flywheel.

The car runs better than the standard would have done and returns more MPG than previously. Also there is a huge ammount of torque between say 3rd and 4th.

I would get another golf and am planning on buying the new shape when it arrives.

Good luck deciding.

10. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Zak,

the performance chip you mentioned really is only useful for the 1.8T engine, not the TDI. and the chip isn't one from a TT - they are customized chips that remap the fuel and boost curves, specific to each chassis/ECU.

11. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

12. Zak Solo

Zak Solo Agent

You are correct (i was trying I suppose to say that the Golf 1.8T could take it as it is based on the same chassis etc as the Audi TT)

But apparently the same works for the TDI (1.8) it actually develops a bit less BHP but is a massive improvement.

13. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Zak,

here in the USA I haven't seen any tuners offering chips for the 1.9 TDI engine, just the 1.8T and VR6 engines. the two biggest tuners here, GIAC and APR, don't.

Also, while the 1.8T engine is used throughout the VW/Audi line, the (225 HP) TT's is a bit different than the rest (which are all pretty much identical) - the pistons, connecting rods, and big-end bearings were uprated to accommodate the higher combustion pressures. The double-mass flywheel and clutch were modified to match the greater performance. The intake manifold, turbocharger, and exhaust manifold are new.

14. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds