Any Vision Quest fans???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian O, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I just saw the movie on Reel Classics on ESPN Classic channel. I forgot how much I enjoyed this movie. Some interesting "making of" on that broadcast. The soundtrack is probably one of the best ever for Pop music and the two songs Madonna does on film are priceless nuggets. Matthew Modine was perfect in that role. Lots of humorous moments and overall just a good solid Sports movie and a really good cast.

Just wondering if there are any plans to release this on DVD with solid support? I bought the current DVD probably 3 yrs ago, but it is only 4:3 and the video is horrendous. The sound is very weak except when the soundrack music kicks in. Then it opens up.

Which studio controls the rights to the movie now?

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I loved the film. One of my favorites while growing up. I would definitely go for a new widescreen release.

Bruce

3. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I was on vacation in St. Louis last week, and one day I went to a flea market and found a booth with a ton of record albums for a dollar each. One of them was the soundtrack for "Vision Quest." I'd never heard of the movie before, but wow, what a soundtrack! I picked it up of course.

I still don't know anything about the movie. What is it about. I'm interesting in giving it a chance. Too bad about the pan-and-scan DVD.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I had it on while I was installing the new phone jack. I heard Only the Young and instantly knew what it was. I got to thinking about the DVD, and I'm sorry to hear the current one is sub-par. I'll hope for and wait for a better edition.

5. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Wanted to catch the REEL Classics broadcast and missed it. I would love to see a reissued VISION QUEST as the current Warner DVD (from 1997?) is atrocious.

Caught ALL THE RIGHT MOVES on the same program a couple weeks back, and thought the interviews with Lea Thompson and director Michael Chapman were great. Made me wonder why some effort could not be put forth to have these included on the DVD.

I already own the no-frills, tho OAR, ALL THE RIGHT MOVES. Perhaps Warner and ESPN Classic could huddle and get VISION QUEST reissued in suitable form with the REEL Classics interviews with Matthew Modine. I'm very curious to hear what he had to say. I remember reading interviews with him, around the time of the film's release, in which he was not very high on the film.

Jon

"Shute?! He's a monster!"

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Vision Quest was an awesome movie, but perhaps Im biased (as a former college wrestler, highschool coach, and referee). :)

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I am another person who really likes this movie and agree with everyone else about the film. I would buy it.

The scene when Modine gets caught sniffing the girls panties is a classic.LOL.

9. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I have the p&s version. i will upgrade this if they put out an OAR DVD. this is a classic movie and needs a SE.

10. AndyW

AndyW Agent

I'm a huge Vision Quest fan! It is one of my favorite movies. I must have seen the movie at least 50 times. i would love to see a widescreen version released.

11. Dan Galyen

Dan Galyen Agent

Hell ya, dude. One of the greatest motivational soundtracks of my time. Going through HS in the late 80's, I listened to this disc before every football and basketball practice to get pumped up. I listened to it so much the disc wore out on me.

I own the stripped down 4:3 $9.95 version of the movie. I would like to see this movie revisited, because the video is bad.

12. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

I would love an SE of Vision Quest.

13. wally

wally Second Unit

Carl,
    Hope you enjoyed your visit.
    Queen One Vision [​IMG]

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

every time i hear "only the young" i think of this movie. every single time! [​IMG]

15. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    So do I. I picture that iron bridge, at any rate. Great song, great opener to both the movie and the Journey GH.

16. Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis Stunt Coordinator

I too would like to see a SE of Vision Quest.

17. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

I doubt we'll get one; it was "dumped" on DVD in 1997, and nobody knows it exists except a select few, so it's not a good candidate for a reissue. Remember, money is the most important thing to studios...

18. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I've never seen the movie but love the soundtrack mainly for Journey's "Only The Young".

I'll have to rent it at Netflix.