What's new

Any use of passive sub? (1 Viewer)

I have a passive sub from KHL, I haven't hooked it to my HT (presently running without sub). I am wondering which one is better to use a passive sub or not to use a sub at all?

Tx

Nitin

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Depends... size of the sub, size of your speakers, amplifier power...

You need to elaborate a bit.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Passive sub is better than none...

I have a passive sub, and hooked it up passively when i had LD.. the bass was still there, and loud.

Right now i have it powered by an external amp, so technically its powered now... You could do that

Thanks for your reply.

My receiver is 110W * 5 Sherwood 7106. And speakers are KLH 60 Watt each and 87db @ 1m.

Can you please elaborate how to make sub powered? that sounds interesting DIY project.

Thanks

Nitin

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Its not very DIY, its pretty easy

Go and find a cheap stereo amp or power amp...

From the Sub Out on your reciever, hook it up to one of the inputs of the amp. Then on the speaker outs, hook one of those to one of the speaker inputs of the sub.

Bada Bing, its powered by the amp.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Yup. And if you want, you can buy one of those plate amps that regular powered subs have, for around $80 for the cheapest one (120W, I think) at www.partsexpress.com - that gives you a powered sub with pretty much all the regular powered sub features - phase control, auto on/off, L+R summing into mono, and so on.
Some of these plate amps come with a built-in bass boost, so you might have to do some soldering if you want to disable that. If you don't care, there's no DIY involved other than connecting wires. There was a long thread on the DIY forum a while back on the bass boost on these amps, if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks