What's new

Any Updates On the Ultimate Early Laurel and Hardy Boxset? (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Just an aside, I guess...I am the Grand Sheik of the Chicago Bacon Grabbers. We don't have anything about this on our site either (though we did carry a link the last time the imminent release of this set was announced a few years ago). Primary reasons it didn't make out site were (1) I'm pretty slow to update it in general -- I probably work at about the same pace as Michael Agee myself, and (2) I didn't even see, hear or read any of the recent updates about the release until the "pre-order" window was either over or just about over. Still, that would be awesome if this comes out. I'd be interested in any info about Mr. Agee's project as well as the rumored RHI set -- even if it's something like "it's cancelled" or "it's on indefinite hold," I'd want to know one way or another. (Of course, I'd prefer to be told "it will be released on (Month/Day/Year) and here's what's on it." Or even "we hit some snags, here's what the issues are..."

Thanks...

Originally Posted by Steve...O
Hi Mark Y ,

I have not been able to find out anything about the reason that the R1 collection of Roach talkies got stalled. From what I understand (and this originated from someone well connected to the L&H legacy), a set was supposed to come out this year but some issue popped up to to stop it.

Regarding the Agee set, I wouldn't hold my breath on this ever gettting released. If he can't bother to put together a publicity campaign that uses up to date artwork and which has been run through a basic spell checker I can only imagine that this project will be the latest in a long line of empty promises. One will note that none of the major L&H Sons of the Desert tent websites (including one that gave this project a lot of publicity several years back when it was first being discussed) make mention of this release. That is very telling. Having said that, I hope Agee surprises everyone and makes good this time.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Update: It's been 10 weeks with no word either way. I have sent off an email in hopes of some answer. I will let you all know the result. My guess is that the set is still not close to being ready and I'll be looking elsewhere for these films, such as the supposedly rather good PAL European set - after I get an all region player, of course....

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm sorry to hear this Brandon. Unfortunately, given Agee's track record, it is not surprising. I hope you havn't given him any money yet.

I found a UK forum discussing these releases. All kinds of additional red flags in this thread....reports of Agee being evicted from his home...the elevenmemories website owner saying funds raised from sales being used to help Agee pay his bills...nobody getting any DVDs either with the elevenmemories guy finally saying they've been "delayed" but not offering any timetable.

Here's a link:http://laurelandhardyforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14842

The poster named "louv" is the guy running the website selling these.

I keep hearing that Genius Entertainment has a L&H Roach set on tap but that it has been held up for rights issues. Last week I tried sending them an e-mail thru their website but it bounced back as undeliverable. Hopefully a server glitch on their end as they are still in business as far as I know.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by GregoryMesh
Genius Entertainment is no more. Vivendi Entertainment now owns their library.
That explains a lot. Thanks for the update.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Got the same email as LouieD's wife over on that other forum, with one additional line:

This is an advance order process.

The set is in manufacturing and has been delayed.

As soon as the sets come out of manufacturing they will be shipped
Our manufacturer is changing over their anti-piracy technology and we are waiting for the new timeline.

As someone quite familiar with the DVD industry, that last line is questionable at best, and downright false at worst. There's hardly any new anti-piracy tech for DVD these days.

I think I'll respond that I want to cancel and see what happens.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
There's hardly any new anti-piracy tech for DVD these days.
Isn't the anti-copy process that the Warner Archive uses on their DVD-Rs relatively new? Perhaps that's what these are.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
That would mean the claims of the discs being "pressed" on the website are false. So, either way, the accuracy of the product description is definitely in question.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
/forum/thread/248569/any-updates-on-the-ultimate-early-laurel-and-hardy-boxset/60#post_3712510
That would mean the claims of the discs being "pressed" on the website are false. So, either way, the accuracy of the product description is definitely in question.
That's just an asumption based on assumed facts.

My overal feeling about this is the fellow who is putting this together is clueless - fulling up half the box with non- Laurle & Hardy Hal Roach material to hike up the price - isn't putting out the best presentation of silent L&H and sound rarities enough?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
For what it is worth, of the well connected "Grand Sheiks" told me within the last year that Agee was considering going to the DVD-R route with these. T This is starting to smell like a DVD-R situation. Even if this is a pressed release I agree with Denny that this has "amateur hour" written all over it.

One would think that a well known studio/distributor would be all over the chance to bring a quality L&H collection from the Roach era (silents or sound) to market. The fact that none has happened suggests that either rights issues are stickier than known (sound era) or that the rights holders are a pain to deal with (silent era) or both. If Agee was this flaky in his dealings with Image Entertainment no wonder that relationship went south.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Unfortunately, Mr. Agee has not always done what's best with the Laurel and Hardy materials in his care. When he began his "Lost Films" project, he brought in nitrate elements from around the world. He then made the rather appalling decision to store them for many years in his California garage. When the elements were finally acquired by UCLA, they discovered such irreplaceable treasures as the original 35mm nitrate camera negatives to BIG BUSINESS and YOU'RE DARN TOOTIN' had decomposed to the point of no return.

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Wow, now I'm sorry I resurrected this thread! Despite my doubts, I was hoping the Agee set would be the real deal this time. And now the sound shorts set is delayed indefinitely? L&H just can't seem to catch a break in Region 1 - the situation has almost become like one of their films (but without the laughs).

Brandon, I hope you're able to cancel your order.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek
Unfortunately, Mr. Agee has not always done what's best with the Laurel and Hardy materials in his care. When he began his "Lost Films" project, he brought in nitrate elements from around the world. He then made the rather appalling decision to store them for many years in his California garage. When the elements were finally acquired by UCLA, they discovered such irreplaceable treasures as the original 35mm nitrate camera negatives to BIG BUSINESS and YOU'RE DARN TOOTIN' had decomposed to the point of no return.
Is Agee "Soft"? Seriously, who stores nitrate in a GARAGE in CALIFORNIA?! Might as well light a match and finish the job...

BIG BUSINESS is one of my all-time favorite L&H Silent comedies!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
When I read Bob's post I literally got a sick feeling to my stomach...anyone stupid enough to store priceless treasures like L&H original nitrate in a garage has absolutely no business being around film no matter how well intentioned they may be.

The rights to the silent L&H films (and the sound Roaches as well) need to be acquired by an entity that cares about them and has the financial means to properly preserve them. If Agee holds any rights to the silents he needs to be willing to sell or transfer these rights for a fair sum in the interest of preserving a vital part of our popular culture. Reading these stories over the past several years gives one the impression his ego and lack of common sense have caused L&H much more harm than good. According to the English forum linked to earlier, Agee is all but homeless since he can't pay his mortgage/rent. Not to diminish a sad situation, but this is the guy we're entrusting a significant portion of the L&H legacy to??

A&C, the Stooges, the Marx Brothers, Harold Lloyd, and Buster Keaton all have deluxe packages marketing their work. L&H is conspiculously mising and their absence is a disgrace.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Update: After a couple emails back and forth with Lou about two weeks ago I've been issued a full refund via paypal of my "pre-order". So, good news there.

Bad news is that I would strongly encourage everyone to completely forget about this set ever seeing the light of day.

Worst news is that the hope for a quality R1 release of these films are seemingly light years away. As Steve said, that sick feeling in the stomach regarding these films remains....

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Brandon, I'm glad to hear you got the refund.

But of course, I'm not happy about not only this offer falling, but the future of these films in general. And with the sound shorts collection also stalling, it looks like the L & H Roach films were just not meant to be in Region 1.

It seems Region 2 is the only way to go.

MJsMagic

Auditioning
Real Name
MJ
Steve...O,

>>A&C, the Stooges, the Marx Brothers, Harold Lloyd, and Buster Keaton all have deluxe packages marketing their work. L&H is conspiculously mising and their absence is a disgrace.

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
So raising this thread from the dead...
I wonder if the successful release of the sound short collection means there might be better hope the silents will get some type of respectful release?

MJsMagic

Auditioning
Real Name
MJ
Well, I noticed that the "ElevenMemories" site has finally been taken down. All these years and hopes later, I guess the final nail in the coffin has been driven. Perhaps it's appropriate for this to be post #100. Seems like a good number for the wrap-up.

-MJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks