Any updates on Around the World in Eighty Days DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Is there anything on any schedule about this being released this year, so far?

The info I got from TCM indicated a late 2002/early 2003 release.

2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Frankly, Patrick, I think everyone may be waiting to get this information from YOU, since you seem to be the resident expert on all things ATWI80D. Hope to see this release soon, but I'm not holding my breath - it's looked so godawful for so long that I am sure Warner/restoration people have their work cut out for them.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

not exactly dvd news yet fascinating indeed
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news.htm
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Around the World in Eighty Days: Variety reports that
    Jackie Chan will star in a new adaptation of the classic Jules Verne tale about Industrial Revolution-era English inventor Phileas Fogg who makes a bet that a man can traverse the globe in 80 days. The story will shift focus however with Chan as the film's main character Passepartout who after stealing a jade Buddha, seeks refuge with Fogg and accompanies him on his journey - along the way teaching him about the cultures he encounters and defending him. As to who'll play Fogg, that remains to be seen though the role has previously been played by such luminaries as David Niven and Pierce Brosnan
    ------------------------------------------------------------

4. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I thought the same thing....holy crap, if Patrick McCart doesn't know....???? Can't wait for the dvd release.
    I don't have TCM and haven't seen the widescreen version.

And as for the Jackie Chan remake....I've picked myself up off the floor, and......that says it all.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Oh great, a remake.
    I guess we'll see a remake of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea with the squid being the star next. [​IMG] Such a shame, too! Jackie Chan would actually be a great Passpartaeu...
    While I've done a lot of research of the 1956 Eighty Days, I noticed that some studios give out schedules of upcoming releases. TCM told me through email that WB was restoring the film now and that the DVD release would be a tentative late 2002, early 2003 release.
    Check out the Eighty Days page @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/ to see some P&S vs. LBX comparisons in the mean time.