Any update on Flaming Lips' Soft Bulletin DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Music' started by MattLS, Sep 23, 2005.

1. MattLS

MattLS Agent

Anyone know if a date is set on this? I know they've been busy with their new 'proper' release and the Christmas on Mars film but man I'm anxious to hear it.

2. kerrySan

kerrySan Extra

lol. sorry dude i have no idea. just thought i'd post so you didnt feel neglected.

3. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

The Lips live drummer "Kliph" posts on flaminglips.com every now and again. A couple weeks ago a question was asked about the Soft Bulletin DVD-A, his response was this...

"I would expect it to be some time within the next couple of months (I don't think there's an official release date yet.) Wayne and George finished up all the stuff for the booklet last night."

Hopefully he's right.

4. MattLS

MattLS Agent

Cool. Thanks.

5. hanson mat

hanson mat Stunt Coordinator

Great to know -- that would make a great christmas gift

6. Steve Kuester

From Flaming Lips.com...

'The Soft Bulletin 5.1' to be released on 31 January

The Flaming Lips' landmark 1999 album 'The Soft Bulletin' will be re-issued on DVD in the US on 31 January. As per the 'Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots 5.1' release, the album tracks will be supplied in advanced resolution 2.0 and 5.1 mixes, as well as Dolby 2.0 and 5.1 mixes. There will, of course, also be a whole host of extra goodies. The full content list is:

The Soft Bulletin - 5.1/2.0
    1. Race For The Prize
    2. A Spoonful Weighs A Ton
    3. The Spark That Bled
    4. Slow Motion
    5. What Is The Light
    6. The Observer
    7. Waitin' For A Superman
    8. Suddenly, Everything Has Changed
    9. The Gash
    10. Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
    11. Sleeping On The Roof
    12. The Spiderbite Song
    13. Buggin'

Album Outtakes
    1. 1000ft Hands
    2. The Captain
    3. Satellite Of You

Radio Sessions
    1. Up Above The Daily Hum
    2. The Switch That Turns Off The Universe
    3. We Can't Predict The Future
    4. Remained Unrealizable

Video Extras
    1. Race For The Prize
    2. Waitin' For A Superman

Before Christmas would've been cool, but I'm excited nonetheless.

7. MattLS

MattLS Agent

Great news! Thanks for the update.

8. Steve Kuester

Just a reminder... The Soft Bulletin 5.1 DVD-A will hit the stores on Tuesday. Everyone better quick buy a copy before they all sell out!

9. MattLS

MattLS Agent

Looking forward to it! Very anxious to hear their most recent manipulation of sound.

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Did anybody buy this yet?

But uh....if you don't want the Lips album, buy this one (samples) with downtempo music on it & before only the DualDisc version is available. Because I would like a complete review before I spend *my* money on it :wink: (I'll be sure to give you an e-handshake for doing so though [​IMG] ).

11. Steve Kuester

Picked this up on Tuesday, was finally able to give it a full listen through last night. Found it in the CD section at Best Buy, $19.99 for both the DVD and CD. (If you already have the CD, just give your extra one to a friend. They'll be forever greatful.)

What can I say, the Lips rule the world. Very agressive 5.1 mix compared to most other multi-channel music, but I don't think it's quite as agressive as Yoshimi 5.1. That's not a complaint, mind you, both mixes do exactly what they need to do - envelop you in sound. The songs are still at the core of this 5.1 mix, however. I think the Lips music is just suited well for this type of experience. I can't imagine too many other bands using an "X" pattern drum beat (front left to back right to back left to front right) without sounding gimmicky.

Highlights for me would include...

The Gash - just try and follow the drum mix around the room (this isn't even the "X" pattern I referred to above)

Slow Motion - hadn't heard this tune before. I believe it was on the UK release?

What is the Light? - a beautiful song that soars to even greater heights when it surrounds you.

The "5.1 Mix Maps" and Wayne's essay "A Volcano Erupting in a Naked Woman's Ear" in the liner notes are also alot of fun.

If you're at all interested in multi-channel music, you would be hard-pressed to find a much better example of where this format can go.

12. MattLS

MattLS Agent

Nice. I hope to pick it up this weekend.
    Thanks for the review Steve!
    Now if only Spiritualized would venture into these warm, multi-channel waters......