What's new

Any upcoming DVD players going to give RP91 a run for its money? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am auditioning an RP91 and it will cost me about $480 to keep. There are some things about it that bug me (clicking noise when skipping around chapters & searching, no time remaining for DVD-V, no audio bit rate display, no default to 5.1 soundtrack option) but there are many, many things that are so right with this player:
1. Scaling of non-anamorphic DVDs
2. DVD-Audio
3. Excellent sounding DACs w/ using 5.1 audio outs
4. Great picture
5. Great progressive scan performance
6. No chroma bug
7. Very little combing when using progressive scan
I have about a week left to decide whether to keep it or not and was wondering about any sub-$700 players that are out on the horizon that might compete with it. I know the Denon 2800 is supposed to be great with its doubler, HDCD & SACD but the non-anamorphic scaling won't be there.
Is there anything coming out within the next 3-6 months that would make me regret this purchase? I've been a Sony fan all my DVD life, but short of the 9000ES (can't afford it) none of their new crop of players can compete with the RP91.
Thanks in advance!
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yikes! Looks like this was double-posted while the HTF was having probs. Please feel free to delete the other thread.
By the way, I've noticed that Philips has the new DVD-Q50AT coming out that uses a 12-bit video DAC and the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer and will retail for around $500. Anyone had a chance to check out one of these (advanced screening if it's not commercially available yet)?
Thanks!
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Carlo,
Kenwood also has a new line of DVD players including mega changers that utilize the Faroudja technology.
If they're not available now, they should be soon. There are other players with other useful bells and whistles that the RP-91 doesn't have. It all depends on what your needs are, I suppose.
Jeremy

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
I don't know about the RP91 audio performance, but reading about what it does with it's zooms/scaling and then comparing this to what the new Malata DVD-N966 spec says leads me to believe that the Malata bests the RP91 in at least this area:
The DVD-N966 does not have the chroma bug (Mediamatics deinterlacer) and permits two types of image shaping:
1) Pixel level zooming while maintaining aspect ratio
or
2) Pixel level independent X-Y image height and width adjustment
The above two in combination sound just like what PC paint and photo touchup PC software has been able to do for years, so you should be able to make any interlaced or progressive image look any way you want on your screen - 4X3, non-anamorphic widescreen, and even anamorphic widescreen.
------------------
Phil N.

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
what about the new Panasonic RP61 coming out in August that is less than 1/2 the price of the RP91?
It too will have DVD-Audio capability and Progressive scan outputs.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy,
The Kenwood players (multichangers) are coming in at $1200 and $1500 MSRP. That's way out of my price range. I'm looking at $500 street price (around $700 MSRP) and lower. The Philips will MSRP around $500 and can probably be had for around $400.
Don't have any idea what the Malata runs for, I'll have to do some 'net research on that player.
Keep 'em coming!
------------------

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I saw a Malata in the store a while back. It reminded me of my Apex, which is a piece of crap in some ways. The quality and ergonomics truly is poor on the Apex, but I keep it because it has a bazillion features. I can say nothing of the build quality of the Malata since I didn't actually demo it or anything, but the vibe it gave me was not good. Looked definitely rough around the edges.
Hoever, I hope the Malata isn't the same mediocre quality of the Apex 600A. If it's a good machine and esp. if it does MP3, maybe I'll replace my Apex. The RP91 will remain my primary machine however.
That said, the RP91 doesn't seem very sturdy either (although pretty slick). I would have paid an extra US$50 for heavier duty parts.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I guess you don't own Sony DVD players because the RP91 weighs more than the DVP-S560D I own and the new DVP-N700P I'm auditioning! So to me the build quality of the RP91 is good (solid tray mechanism as well in comparison to the Sonys). Of course it's not built like the DVP-7000, but not many of today's mass-market players are.
Didn't know the Malata was a pseudo-apex. If I wanted those features I'd probably spring for a Skyworth and get region-selection as well (may do that as a secondary player).
I'm just looking for the best progressive player that is slated to come out in the next few months that might unseat the RP91 as far as progressive quality and 3:2 pulldown are concerned (and hopefully do some form of non-anamorphic scaling like the RP91 does). Basically I just don't want to plop down $500 now to find that in 3-6 months I'm pissed at not waiting for a player. Of course in a year or so they'll have an awesome player but I won't mind if I get a good year or so use out of the RP91. It's just the 3-6 month window that would annoy me.
------------------

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Carlo:
Just count how many non anamorphic discs are in you collection and figure out how much $ it would take to buy the new improved version (when they come out).
The RP-91 is my second player in 3.5 years. There are plenty of people that have gone through a half dozen players in that time. Chill out... Why is it necessary to have the cusp of wave at all times?
The RP-91 is a fine machine that will go far. My original DVL-91 is now my laser disc player, still to get use.
At sub $500... this is a no brainer :).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The RP-91 is my second player in 3.5 years. There are plenty of people that have gone through a half dozen players in that time. Chill out... Why is it necessary to have the cusp of wave at all times?
That is exactly the reason I'm asking for opinions on other players, so I can buy the player that I hope will keep me happy for a while. If I keep the RP91 it will be my 4th player in 4+ years but I think my upgrades were all for good reasons:
1. Tosh 2006 (May 1997) - First player
2. Sony DVP-S300 (October 1998) - Tired of Tosh's jaggy downconversion
3. Sony DVP-S560D (July 2000) - Became DTS capable
4. Panasonic RP91? (July 2001) - Progressive capable to go with new HD-Ready set
If the Q50 doesn't offer much above what the RP91 does, I will probably stick with the RP91 since I can get it cheaply. Just want to make sure before I put down the dough.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
My original DVL-91 is now my laser disc player, still to get use.
I just retired my DVL-91 to LD use only today with the receipt of a new RP-91K(black) from ecost.com. It took over a month, but seeing as it came double boxed for under $500 I can't complain. I'll miss the time remaining function the most. Hopefully the layer changes won't be as long and this will maybe enable the DVL-91 to live for many more years of LD playing.
My History:
PowerMac 8600 w/E4 CoolDVD PCI Kit (98-00)
Toshiba SD-3109 Dual Tray DVD Player(99-00)
Pioneer Elite DVL-91 LD/DVD Combo Player (00-current)
PowerMac 500MP G4 Region Free DVD-RAM (00-current)
HTPC Region Free Pioneer 106 Slot loading (01-current)
Panasonic RP-91K DVD Player (01-current)

Steve_D

Second Unit
Kenwood and Phillips, as mentioned before, both have new players coming to market. I'm most excited about the Phillips SACD962, with SACD and the Faroujda/Sage chips for processing and de-interlacing. I expect a street price of around $800 or so.
------------------
Link Removed

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Carlo, you said:
I know the Denon 2800 is supposed to be great with its doubler, HDCD & SACD but the non-anamorphic scaling won't be there.
Note that the Denon DVD-2800 supports DVD-Audio, not SACD. You might want to see what Sony will offer later this year in progressive scan DVD/multi-channel SACD players. I know they will release the DVP-NS900V, but that will cost more than $500. However, they should have some cheaper SACD-capable models coming out. If I had to choose between the new audio formats, I'd go with SACD over DVD-Audio. Of course, you need to see which players offer the best video quality and other DVD-related features.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Carlo, Toshiba will also be releasing the SD4700 and 5700 in a month or two. I know nothing about them other than the fact that they are progressive scan and should both come in under $500.
cheers,
--tom

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the tip on the Toshibas. Didn't really like my old 2006 but that was one of the first gen players and had some pretty nice features. Will have to do more research on those.
Please keep the suggestions coming!
------------------

Dakota_D

Grip
I too would like to now about upcoming progressive scan dvd players. I like the RP91, but am looking at options for another year. I can wait for about 3 months if possible, but....
Do all the new DVD Players come out in the fall? I have noticed that many new TVS are coming out and wondering about this? Does someone know.
I am also curious about the Pana DVD-CP71? Is it available yet, and how much does it cost? It is a 5 disc dvd player, progressive scan, but doesnt look like it plays mp3s. Can someone compare this with the RP91?
I found this link to it with photo/features? Any others out there please post. http://www.geocities.com/chuckster04...l?985394992370
Thanks

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
As I've mentioned several times in various threads, the DVD-CP71 is not going to exist this year. Most new DVD players are introduced at the January CES. There are some models introduced in the 3rd and 4th quarters, but they are in the minority.

Robert Whitehead

Auditioning
The Denon 2800 does NOT have DVD-A. The new Kenwoods do not have the scaling capabilities of the RP91. The Philips Q50, which uses the Sage/Faroudja chip, does have RP91 like scaing capabilites, but does not have DVD-A.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Didn't know the Malata was a pseudo-apex. If I wanted those features I'd probably spring for a Skyworth and get region-selection as well (may do that as a secondary player).
Well, I didn't really mean it that way. It's not a pseudo-Apex, in that it isn't meant as a knockoff. However, like the Apex, it's got a lot of the same features that made the Apex so popular, and it's a noname product which seems pretty cheaply made. However, as everyone knows these days a cheaply made DVD player can use good components and still give good quality sound and video. However, despite the fact that some videophiles claim that the video quality of the Apex is stellar unfiltered video, I still say that the video out of that thing is poor. The Malata may be much better, but if you're thinking mail order, I'd think twice until there are more reviews out there.
By the way, it's interesting. Rumour has it that the RP91 is a highly modified DVD-RAM transport system, and my Apex is a fully functioning PC DVD-ROM drive. I disassembled my Apex and even successfully installed it into my PC. Windows recognized it as just another DVD-ROM drive. I doubt the Panasonic is like that, but I'm too chicken to disassemble it to see.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks