What's new

Any Ultimate Avengers comments? (1 Viewer)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I'd rather have Apache Chief than this. If they wanted a black Nick Fury use G.W. Bridge. I am a little disappointed, I wish this was based on the "real" Marvel Universe version of the Avengers as they have always been more entertaining.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Well Brett I thought that was the case, but when they introduce the characters in the extras part (which uses what appear to be sketches from some other source), not only does mjolnir have 2 flat sides, Thor also has a beard... strange.
I never read the Nick Fury books, so his change didn't bother me. I never liked comics about regular humans :p

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Saving it for Ultimate Avengers 2?

Anyway, watched mine the other night and I thought it was just fine for what it was: a comic book cartoon movie.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I didn't check out those sketches, but that is interesting. Thor has the bladed hammer in pretty much every picture I've seen of the Ultimate Thor; I wish they would have just done this from the regular Avengers too, but maybe we'll get that on the big screen.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I'm a Hulk fan so I loved it.
What I found funny about it...

The threat of the film is this alien race, that seems unstoppable. They have to go through all this expense and time to recover the star of the show, Cap America so he can gather a team of heros to try and stop the aliens.
They have all sorts of trouble and fail on their first mission miserably.

Who enters the scene? Old green skin, that's who!
He precedes to completely dismantle the Alien race without breaking a sweat, then, one by one, put the Avengers in the infirmary.

Of course, I loved every minute of the fight (and a scene available in HiDef if you have a Xbox 360).

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Thor and Hulk duking it out was a highlight of mine also. I have always loved Thor, and didn't have a problem with his mannerisms etc. as others have. Does anyone know if they ever changed his origin over the years from a guy finding mjolnir in a cave? I guess Stan Lee and those guys wanted all of the heros to start out regular folks.
I think Banner is played particularly well also.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator

The film wasn't especially accurate at all, and The Ultimates isn't really a "younger" readers book. It features plenty of material parents wouldn't be happy with their younger kids reading. That's my main complaint with this film; if you want to adapt the old school Avengers, do that. If you want to adapt The Ultimates, do that. But this comes off as a mix of the two, watered down and sanitized for mass consumption.

The Ultimates had the characters acting like relatively real people; for example, in the comic Tony Stark owns part of the merchandising for the team, and makes a comment about selling 15 million copies of a DVD of their fight with Hulk. I could see that happening. Banner's relationship with Betty in the comic is much more interesting; there, Betty is a public relations person working for SHIELD, and the Hulk is more an expression of Banner's unleashed id. So when Banner becomes the Hulk, he basically wants to sexually go nuts on Betty. Not to mention that the Hulk kills several hundred people in the comic during his rampage.

Captain America was badly miscast in the film; the guy playing him sounds too wishy-washy for the character. Again, the comic portrays him as the ultimate (no pun intended) fighting badass. Plus, the final battle in the film has nothing as classic the comic's Captain America kicking the Hulk in the balls, and then giving Banner a nasty boot to the head afterward for the trouble he caused.

The comic featured several pop culture references that were a waste, but it also had vastly better characterization and a much more dynamic layout than the film did. Was I expecting too much from this? Evidently, but when you have a ready made story and visuals ready to be adapted, it seems a waste to replace them with a dumb alien attack story that makes no sense anyway.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Ah yes, the Hulk as "weapon of mass destruction" moment. And Cap beating Giant Man to a pulp for spousal abuse against the Wasp. Cap has a lot of violence in him. Of course, it's mentioned early on that a lot of steroids were used in his creation, so maybe it's the 'roids talking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks