Any tweaks to eliminate Sub Port Noise?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EricB, Oct 6, 2003.

1. EricB

EricB Agent

My sub is the Energy S10.2, it has two front ports, which I notice, could get a little noisy quite easily. I could hear air coming out of its ports from a distance of around 4ft, at certain frequencies (intro of Massive Attack's Angel for example).

Is there a way to reduce this mechanically? Is there anything I can use to remedy this?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. John_MackieBass

John_MackieBass Stunt Coordinator

If its a premade box theres not too much you can do. Port noise is a result of the velocity of air in the port being too high, and or somthing in or infront of the port causing the air to "chuff" around it.

Three remedies for port noise are flared ports, larger port area, and less power to the driver!

You could try moving the sub to a different location to isolate the noise a little. Front firing would give you the most noise because the air is blowing directly out at you. Maybe you could try turning the box sideways and fire it towards the wall, or fire it into a corner?

If its an unacceptable amount of noise, I would contact Energy and see if its normal. If the ports are defective in any way they could be making noise! BEst of luck, JD

3. EricB

EricB Agent

Thanks for the advice.
    I might unknowingly be overdriving it a little too.