Any TV on DVD Available with Commercials?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jamesGA, Sep 8, 2006.

1. jamesGA

jamesGA Agent

this might be minor, but it would be nice to see for my self and kids the old commercials that came on the show.

any1 know of any DVD's that are out now, that shows this?

thanks in advance.

2. Brad P

Brad P Stunt Coordinator

I have the Ed Sullivan set that includes all four Beatles appearances, and they include all but the cigarette commercials.

3. jamesGA

jamesGA Agent

thanks. good to see some companies are doing it, hopefully itll be done for a show im interested in.

4. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Well, off the top of my head, a couple of the Public Domain TV sets have commercials imbedded in them. The TV Favorites Megapack from Treeline has some in the shows (plus stuff like the Lux Soap Playhouse and the like), and the Groucho sets from Shout Factory have lots of Desoto ads in them.

5. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

The Burns & Allen shows have commercials that were incorporated into the show. It's fun to watch Gracie cooking with Carnation milk!

6. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    The Naked City DVDs from Image feature lots of vintage commercials.

7. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Why would you want commercials on your TV DVD sets? The sole reason for buying DVD's is to watch these shows WITHOUT commercials. It's bad enough Universal forces you to sit through five minutes of ads for their products on their DVD's.

8. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

They are featured on the 3 numbered box sets in particular. Commercials of this vintage are the only ones I could see myself halfway enjoying. Thankfully Image did not PC it by eliminating the tobacco ads.

9. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I've wondered why there aren't (as far as I know) DVDs of just vintage commercials.

I was at a Budweiser brewery a few months ago where in the lounge area they had a big screen playing nothing but their ads, many of which are pretty good. I told them they should sell a DVD of the ads. They said a lot of people say that... so why don't they sell the DVDs?

10. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

It's not the SOLE reason -- not having to adhere to the broadcast schedule is a big thing for me. But I do agree with your point.

Actually, for those really old, classic shows, I can see where it would enhance the experience. But, still, it's not my thing. I buy TV on DVD to see great drama, not for nostalgia.

This isn't quite as bad, though, as the guy a few months back on this forum who was looking for infomercials on DVD.

11. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

I think there is somewhere. I remember reading somewhere that some boutique shop release a couple of these, but I'll be damned if I can remember what or where? Do a search on this forum, perhaps you can find it.

It might be the same company that released a DVD with a bunch of those old intermission cartoons from drive-ins. Or it's possible that I'm actually confusing this with old commercials.

12. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Second Unit

Oh, I get a kick out of old commercials. In fact, I never particularly minded them much at all until about 20 years ago. That seems to be when they started getting so much more abrasive and obnoxious (an MTV effect, maybe?). Plus, nowadays they've become, in addition, so abundant, they've made commercial television basically unwatchable. It's one of the main reasons my viewing is comprised almost exclusively of dvd's nowadays.

But, old commercials? They're fine with me. The commercials on the "Naked City" sets are marvelous. I'm thrilled they were included. Same with the cast-commercials on some of the "Andy Griffith" and "Beverly Hillbillies" sets.

13. Tony J Case

Modern day commercials I have no intrest in, but commercials from the 50's - thats another story. Theres a certain air of mystery about ads for cigs (like the Winstons being smoked by the Flintstones) or beer ads featuring famous faces from that era.

On the other hand, slightyly more modern commercials from the 70's and 80's hold nostalga for me. While I havent seen any from that time released on DVD yet, I've managed to go through my old VHS tapes from that era and compile hundreds and hundreds of transformer ads, "Wheres the Beef" spots and so on. There's a certan charm to seeing the Star Wars "Dont Smoke" PSA 25 years on.

So no - the forced ads for modern shows - bleh. Old GI Joe ads? Total thumbs up.

14. Tony J Case

Oh - theres one more show I thought of: the Monkees. Both sets have the cerial sponser bumpers included, and some of the other spots they did.

Also there's this: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MAD509219 - but be warned that this is a typical Madacy set, and theyre up to their usual Public Domain schanagans again. The quality is . . . oh, how shall we say - diaboilcal in places. It's ok, but dont expect more than your 7 bucks worth from the set.

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Image's disc with the final Howdy Doody show presents it more or less exactly as it was originally aired. Ads are done during the show (Buffalo Bob drags out cereal and other stuff) but there's a station break in the middle and a brief show promo done with slides at the end. This is one of the oldest surviving color videotapes- there's 2 other shows on the same disc but they're black-and-white kinescopes, even though they were originally in color.

There's a disc called The 70s Dimension that has some early 70s commercials transferred from 16mm film, lots of great stuff on that one though it's priced a little high and is too short.

16. Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz Stunt Coordinator

I don't like the forced commercials either (I have a 2003 world series DVD that includes an MLB apparel commercial that cannot be skipped) but the appeal of older shows is at least partially nostalgic. Maybe include some of the toy ads and such on DVD collections for Saturday Morning shows. The ads would hold particular interest when it actually features the stars of the show speaking on behalf of the show's sponsor. Those Flintstones cigarette ads are a real sign of the times. Too bad they couldn't have been included as some kind of "Easter Egg". I would put the commercials in as a bonus feature, perhaps being able to play them at commercial breaks while viewing episodes. I always thought it was interesting how the broadcast shows have their kind of mini-cliffhangers at the end of each segment to keep you watching through the break. It seems kind of natural when watching it while broadcast, but kind of unnatural on DVD.

17. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I have 3 dvd's of nothing but commercials from the 80's(mostly early , and mid 80's, roughly 300) and believe me when I say the nostalgia factor watching them is very, very high. I almost teared up watching them. The Mcdonalds commercials are especially heartwarming(one titled little sister was so sad) and just plain innocent, and fun. They are like a direct channel back to my childhood, even more than a tv show from the 80's can capture.
    Out of the many hundreds of dvd's I own, these 3 dvd's are my favorites. They hold more magic than all of my tv shows, and movies combined.

18. Derek_J

Derek_J Stunt Coordinator

Did you buy them, or make them yourself?

19. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I bought them from a comic book convention, but you can usually find many similar, or perhaps even better on EBAY under 80's commercials.
    As it stands there are no 80's commercials on dvd released from a real studio.

20. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    There are some embedded commercials on the Dick Van Dyke show DVDs. They typiclly run near the end of the episode.