Any truth to rumors of Fox releasing Charlie Chan DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Drake, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

Midst all of the recent controversy regarding the Fox Movie Channel suspending their Charlie Chan film festival is that several rumors have circulated that Fox was using the festival to promote an upcoming mass release of the recently restored series. Ken Hanke, a Chan historian and author, has indicated that a Fox exec told one of his associates that DVDs were being considered.

During my call today to FMC to ask them to put the films back on, I asked about these rumors. All I got was a cryptic "I can't confirm". The gentleman didn't deny them.

Does anyone here have any information?

2. Thomas W

Thomas W Agent

Paul, thanks for starting this thread. I was disappointed that Fox decided to stop broadcasting this on their movie channel. I saw a couple of them before they were canceled and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the restoration. In spite of the controversy surrounding them, they are one of the best representations of a slice of popular culture of the 30's and 40's (along with the Marx Brothers films!).

I'm very eager to see the restored versions on DVD. I went to the Fox website and sent them a message requesting that they issue these on DVD. I encourage others to do the same.

3. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I saw the ads for the Chan festival on other (Fox, I presume) channels, but I don't receive Fox Movie Channel. I'm sorry to hear it was cancelled, but I'd love to see the entire series on DVD, and I'd certainly buy it. Roan has the Mr. Wong films out there (I haven't seen the set, though), so Chan seems a natural accompaniment. Fox treated their first silent release, Sunrise, majestically, and I'm sure they'd treat these early sound pictures with similar, admirable care on the format. [​IMG]

4. Paul Drake

Ok, nobody has any information on these? To use the old saying "where's there's smoke, there's fire".

Surely somebody out there (perhaps someone with ties to Fox themselves) is a position to definitively state what's going on (or not going on) about these.

For what it's worth, Fox has taken their website down for a second straight day (presumably to stop the huge influx of e-mails they've been getting.

Any insight would be appreciated.

5. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I just spoke to Ken Hanke and he said "I merely repeated a statement made to a Scarlet Street Board member by someone at Fox. I have no further knowledge of what is going on than that, but it's worth remembering that FMC is actually a separate part of Fox and they would not themselves be involved in DV releases, which would be from Fox Home Entertainment."

[​IMG]

6. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I'd buy them!

7. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine Stunt Coordinator

There was an article in the LA Times several days ago which seemed to indicate that these titles will not be released. Much the same fate as "Song of the South".

Maybe it will be a couple of years before PC swings around and gets some sense of history! DVD is the perfect format for this as we can "show and teach"!!!

Rick

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

It would be a real shame if these films weren't released on DVD. I can't believe to what degree PC has overtaken our culture, our history is being buried.

9. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Sorry, I just find much of today's PC a bunch of crap, totally overreacting to decades-old entertainment as being somehow threatening to our culture. Adults (and even kids) today should be savvy enough to realize these films are not representative of any current reality. And besides, it's not as though caucasian Americans have not been shown as immoral dunderheads in movies produced world-wide. Why don't we all simply agree that these films are part of history and stop this idiotic escalation of censorship. There are indications that we are headed toward a revisionism of cinema history wherein any offensive material just doesn't exist for all intents and purposes. If I owned Disney, I would consider this a remarkably undesirable and disturbing state of affairs when it came to burying SONG OF THE SOUTH, Roger Ebert notwithstanding.

10. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

What is the Charlie Chan set on Ebay with the old radio shows?

11. Paul Drake