Any tricks getting into service menu on a 65HX81?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip____S, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Philip____S

Philip____S Stunt Coordinator

I know the keys are mute, mute+menu, menu but I can't get into service mode. After doing this for a half hour or so I eventually get the timing right, but does anybody know what the proper timing is? Are the keys punches quick, slow, etc.? Exactly how long to you hit and hold each key in the sequence? Thanks in advance.

2. Derek_C

Derek_C Agent

From http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/ServiceMode.htm
    To get into Service mode:
    1. Turn your TV on.
    2. For X81 or earlier series: Press MUTE on your remote and release.
    2. For H80/H81/HX81 series: Press MUTE on your remote and release two times ("Mute" on-screen)
    3. Press down MUTE on your remote again and hold. While holding, press the MENU button on your TV set's front panel. 4. Release both buttons.
    5. An "S" should appear on your screen. Press MENU again on your TV.
    6. Now you're in service mode. Channel Up/Dn - Scrolls through Parameters and Volume Up/Dn - Changes Parameter Value
    [​IMG]

3. Philip____S

Thanks Derek, I know the sequence but not the timing. I get frustrated sitting there hitting the keys without results.

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

What I've found is that with the placement of the menu button on the front of the set, I sometimes block the front of the remote as I reach around it to push the button, remember you must be HOLDING the mute button on the remote when you press menu on the TV

5. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Philip,

Some newer Tosh models require you to add an additional push of the mute button to access the svc menu.

So, mute, mute, then mute and hold. Then push menu on the tv set.

No real trick to length of time depressing the buttons. Just make sure the remote is pointed to the set and you have good/fresh batteries in it.

Thanks,

Errol

6. Philip____S

Thanks for the help guys, I finally got it working. I think I may have been pressing mute twice so fast it wasn't registering, because the tv only went to half mute, not full mute. By slowing down my key strokes I got it to work. I seemed to go either way too fast or way too slow, but after fiddling around for an hour I finally got the timing so I could reliably go into serivce mode. I think I'll put new batteries in as well, just in case I'm not getting the power I need out of the remote.