What's new

Any tricks for plugging in my projector? (1 Viewer)

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
My Infocus 4805 is on the way. I realized today I need a way to plug it in. I would like to install a new duplex outlet in the ceiling, but it will be very difficult to do because of pre-existing finished walls and ceiling. For running my component video cables I was planning on using one of those plastic wire channels that has a paintable cover. Could I run a electrical cord inside that with the component cable? I am guessing that will cause serious interference. I just wanted to check because that would be the easy way out. What are you guys doing to get power to your projector?

Thanks

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Do you have any kind of access above your ceiling? Part of my living room ceiling has a crawl space above it so I was able to run a circuit to the back of my room. The only hole I had to make was for the box itself.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
No access above. I have my theater in the basement. Above the theater room is the dining room and my son's room.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I am in a similar situation...just got my 4805 last week and now need to figure out how I am going to run wires to it. I live in an apartment...so the idea of using wire raceways seems like a viable one. I still plan to mount the projector on the ceiling since I can putty up any holes before I leave. Just don't know how a raceway will look...also don't know if a raceway will fit the wire cord and/or component and dvi wires.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I have my 4800 ceiling mounted. I ran the wires (1 set component for DTV, 1 S-video for DVD & LD, 1 composite for 2 VCRs, 1 power cord plugged into my Panamaxx) up the wall and across the ceiling in el cheapo plastic rings screwed into the plasterboard.

When it's dark and you're watching the projected image, you don't see them.

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have used raceways in several HT installs over the years. Works fine and any electrical store should have multiple size. I think I use a 1" for my component cables to my projector. And no you do not want to run your power cord in the same raceway if you can avoid it (altohugh I did on my first couple of installs - I have since seen the light) Good luck

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. I talked to my Dad. He is an ex-electrician. He thinks he may have some ideas on how we can get a duplex installed professionally in the ceiling. I will proabably still go with the raceways for the video cables, just because it's much easier to swap them out in a few years when there's a "new" type of cable I want to run to my new projector.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

Not if you plan it right and you install some sort of conduit in your ceiling/walls, running cables after that is a breeze!

Scenario 1 - Floor Joist in Ceiling run from front to back (BONUS!) - In this case you simply run the cables up the back wall and down in between the floor joists to the projector. You may be able to get away with only having to make one largish hole (big enough to fit a drill...) on the wall near the ceiling in order to drill through the header stud to install an elbow piece for your cables to make the bend. Depending on how able you are, you may have to also make a hole in the ceiling near the wall hole to help you in fishing cables. Hopefully it's not a stipple ceiling as patching those is more difficult to make uniform. Painting afterwords will be necessary.

Scenario 2 - Floor Joist in Ceiling run from side to side. This could suck as you might have to make a lot of ceiling holes to drill through joists if you want the "hidden" look. Instead, what I've done in the past is run my cables along the floor behind baseboards to the point where I want to install the projector then follow Scenario 1 up the side wall then in-between the joists.

Either way, I much prefer putting in the effort than having "unsightly" raceways up my walls and along the ceiling. In a home, this is the only way to go. In an apartment, I might go the raceway route if there isn't a WAF involved...

JB

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately I have scenario 2. I have ran my speaker wires the exact same route that you described (except the too-the-ceiling-part). The worst part about it is that I have to run all the wires around a door opening. The speaker wire already took up a large portion of the space that was availble around the door. That would be one really long wire run too. I will give it some more thought though.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

How about installing crown molding in the room? 4-5" molding would give you a nice cavity in the back to run quite a bit of cable thickness. Not only that, crown molding also gives the room added richness.

Follow scenario 1 by running the cables up the wall but come out right at the top then run along the wall/ceiling seam and cover up with crown molding. When you are at the floor joists running to the projector, pop up into the ceiling at that point.

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks