What's new

Any Toshiba 65H83 comments (1 Viewer)

shangreer

Auditioning
Anyone got one? What do you think about the quality? I am planning on buying one in a week, just want to know if there is anything I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance for the expert advice.

Shan

shangreer

Auditioning
Is the ghosting issue you mentioned common to all of the 65H83s or just to some of them?

Overall, do you recommend the TV?

Shan

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Can you elaborate on this ghosting issue?

I've seen/calibrated 57, 51 and 46H83's so far and I see absolutely zero ghosting or ringing.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Great to hear ... about the ghosting. The unit I looked at had it bad and similar to few other toshiba units I have seen from time to time. Simply keep an eye out for it and if you have it ... return it or get it fixed. (They don't fix it ... it usually swap out)

It just wasn't a good sign that the first of the new sets I see has the ghosting.

Regards

toddi

Auditioning
What is the best way to determine ghosting? I just bought a 65h83 and set contrast, sharpness, etc. thru Avia but have yet to do convergence beyond the touch point focus. The picture while watching DVDs is a little blurry in the backgrounds. Will the 56pt convergence help with this? Also noticed some bold shapes with certain colors seem to flicker. The last is a buzzing sound or more of a ticking sound coming from the speaker from all inputs(only two connected) but does stop when muted. Is this all normal or defective? Just worried if these are major problems so I can exchange before 30 days have passed?

Todd

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Ghosts / ringing images are most easily detected on text. There is a distinct echo of the text ... about 3/4 or 1/2 the thickness of the original text. A darkening effect as well ... as the ghost is darker.

Regards

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Actually, I made a mistake...I've done a 65H83, but not a 57H83 yet. There must have been some problem with that set you saw, Michael.

The last is a buzzing sound or more of a ticking sound coming from the speaker from all inputs(only two connected) but does stop when muted
Can't say what the problem might be here. This is with the built-in speakers, correct?

toddi

Auditioning
I'm still not sure on the ghosting. If convergence is off could this cause some sort of ghosting? If not then I have ghosting...should I exchange it? and will they do it if I say ghosting?
I am willing to attempt a 56pt convergence once I figure out how to get into service mode.
I have a pioneer and it did flicker on red and orange.
The ticking sound is coming from the internal speakers.

Thanks for the help.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
If convergence is off, you'll see an offset coloured 'halo' around certain objects like text.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks