What's new

Any Toshiba 34HF81 Owners Out There? Need Help!! (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
What picture size do you use to watch anamorphic DVD's? What about non-ana and regular TV? I love our new set but the manual never really says how to set up the pic size for proper DVD viewing.

Andrew,

I've had one of these sets since December and I love it. The correct picture size for anamorphic DVDs is FULL. For regular cable I use TheaterWide 1. It does introduce a bit of distortion at the sides but after an hour or two you won't notice it. Personally, I hate the grey bars using NORMAL so TW1 works best for me. If, however, you are watching a letter-boxed broadcast (like Enterprise) use TheaterWide 2 as this stretches equally in both directions and you will have a full screen with no distortion.

Cheeers,

John

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Hey John, two more questions:

1. When watching a 1.85:1 DVD in full mode, do you see any remnants of the black bars? I was wondering because I noticed that they're practically gone and I want to make sure they're not being "overscanned."

2. Have you calibrated your TV. If you did, how? And if you'd like to be REALLY nice, you could pass along your brightness, color value, etc. numbers.

Thanks

William_K_F

Agent
I have one of these sets, and yes, you will continue to see thin black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when viewing an anamorphic DVD. This is since the screen is 16x9 which is 1.77 whereas the DVD is 1.85 hence the slight black bars at top and bottom.
Anyway, it looks great to watch anamorphic DVDs in Full mode, just be certain to set up your DVD player to work in 16x9 mode so the anamorphic works right.
Unfortunately not all DVDs are anamorphic :angry:
Also, if your DVD player is not progressive scan, be sure to put the TV into the movie mode so that it does the 3:2 unconversion to progressive.
Regarding your second question:
Looking at the recommendations of others I got the following (from memory), I use: 60, 50, 39, -12, 51 in order of menu with Flesh off and DNR off and color temp normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks