Any Top Cat reviews? Yes (merged)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Arnie G, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I've been searching the net & can't find any Top Cat reviews. Did anyone get it yet?[​IMG]

2. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

I bought Top Cat on Tuesday when it came out. I have gone through all of the special features and this box set is worth the price tag. Earl Kress does a good job of interviewing Arnold Stang, Marvin Kaplan and Leo de Lyon. He also interviews one of the writers from Top Cat as well. It's a good history.

There is also Kellogg's commercials starring Top Cat included on the box set.

The digital remastering is superb. The picture is crystal clear and the audio is absolutely terrific. The pop-up menus are very clever. The box is similar to the other Hanna-Barbera releases, except it is no longer a cel with pencil drawings underneath. Instead there is a surprise picture of Top Cat and Officer Dibble underneath.

It's a great box set and well worth the money. I bought it at Costco for only $21.99. They have a special on all Hanna-Barbera box sets through Sunday, December 12 (you can even get the special price online). This special price includes: Flintstones Seasons 1 & 2, Scooby Doo, Jetsons, Jonny Quest and Top Cat. The everyday Costco price of $28.99 goes back into effect on Monday, December 13.

I have always loved Top Cat and I can't wait to see all of the episodes, 30 in all. My only complaint is that it would have been nice to have included his TV movie, "Top Cat and the Beverly Hills Cats" on this release to make it a complete Top Cat DVD set. I hope Warner Home Video will release it in the near future because the movie is a real treat.

3. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Warner Home Video has done a sensational job of putting together the entire series of TOP CAT episodes. Actually, the entire, ONLY season of TOP CAT. It, like THE JETSONS only had one network prime-time season, but was rerun forever for decades thereafter.

Maybe it's the time of year, but sadly I've seen no TOP CAT reviews anywhere, and this is a shame.

This series was truly ahead of its time. Smart, sophisticated and witty. No wonder it only lasted one season in prime time (nowadays it would probably last 2 weeks if it didn't catch on)....

WB hired renowned Hanna-Barbera historian Earl Kress to work on the set, and his expert influence shows. There are great interviews with surviving cast members, and lots of other kool things like KELLOGG'S commercials.

Unfortunately, since it ain't Shrek 2 or the BEST OF ZEPPO MARX retread. there hasn't been much press on this wonderful release. The transfers are great and so is the price. GRAB IT!

4. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

I'll second Roger's praise of Warner's production job on Top Cat. What a treat it is to hear Kress and Leo de Lyon recalling the making of the pilot "Hawaii, Here We Come"! Lots of great trivia about what it was like to produce a prime time animated series in an era that was still predominantly black and white television.

The box artwork is very well done, with crisp colors and "Catnip Trivia."

By the way, Roger, did you pick up Kress's flaw about the position of the waiter with regard to the lunch box in the opening sequence? I'm not sure what he meant.

5. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Thanks Greg for the info. I guess I'll have to get it soon.[​IMG]

6. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Sadly folks, I never received screeners from WB for this or the Flintstones S2... I do have emails in though. I hope(d) to at least make The Flinstones S2 a priority.

In fact Warner has sent very little lately in the way of screeners.