What's new

Any Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Merrill

Grip
Wow, you people are great. I am really glad I stumbled onto this site. There isn't much out there (or at least not nearly as much) for making component decisions versus just buying.

Here's my current situation and I invite comments and suggestions. The room is rather large with a high vaulted ceiling. There is a window to the rear, behind the couch, but there is a good 6 foot gap. The room is about 20 by 40 and opens up into the kitchen (it's a very cool house).

I've already purchased the Sony STR-DE885 receiver that will sit next to my Sony KP-57HW40 TV. I haven't got the receiver yet (should arrive Wednesday) but I thought it was a good price ($299 + SH from Etronics.com) and a good place to start.

I was initially looking for a speaker kit because I really don't know that much and I figure, as some mentioned, I could always upgrade later (or never). I am not an audiophile but I do like good sound when watching movies which is what we will be doing 99% of the time. The Flunance and HomeTheaterDirect look good. However, after reading all the posts I am thinking I should be more bold.

Keeping with what I've read, I like the JBL S36II 3-Way 6" ($249 + SH) for mains and the JBL S-CENTERII 3-Way ($141 + SH) as the center. I've heard the three front speakers should be the same manufacturer. I am not sure of the Sub or the surround yet. I figure I could get comfortable with these and then move on.

Any thoughts?

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
When looking for a sub just remember that you will be trying to fill a lot of space. So dont skimp on the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks