What's new

Any thoughts or suggestions before I begin? (1 Viewer)

Al_E

Auditioning
I am considering creating a HT room in a cornner of my basement. The room can be about 9' wide by 18' long and is about 86" from the concrete floor to the floor joists above.
Two walls are the exterior concrete the current rear wall is just a standard 2X4 stud wall with drywall.

I am thinking of doing a wall along the length of the 2X10 support beams, and making the wall a 2X6 staggered stud construction. Or since I wasn't planning on doing anything with the ceiling and the back wall is a normal 2X4 wall will this not matter?

Here are some images of what I have to work with.
This is an image of the dividing wall and the floor joists.
//al_e.home.mchsi.com/resized/basementstart002.jpg

This image is of the water lines that run below the floor joists on one side of the room.
//al_e.home.mchsi.com/resized/basementstart005.jpg

This image is a view of the area from the front to the rear.
//al_e.home.mchsi.com/resized/basementstart003.jpg

I guess the direct linking to images is not allowed since I don't have 15 posts. Please cut and paste the links if you would like to see the images.
Thanks
Al E

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Al, I would just make the wall with 2X4's. I built a HT room in my basement also, about 12'X17' for my projector. My finished ceiling height is 6'8". Why aren't you going to do anything with the ceiling? You should insulate the ceiling and walls if you want to contain the sound within.

Al_E

Auditioning
I plan on doing the work myself, and not really sure I want to try and install drywall or some other type of covering on the ceiling.

Al

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Al, will this room be for a projector or something else?
Either way, make sure you run your wires or a conduit thru ceiling joists for your wiring. I went with a "suspended ceiling tile system" for easy access to wiring. It's called "Ceiling Max", and it keeps your ceiling up higher, much closer to ceiling joists than a standard system.

Al_E

Auditioning
Jim
I have a DIY projector that is floor mounted in the room.
Is the "Ceiling Max" have better acoustics than DIY center drop ceilings?
Luckily I can still just run wires where i live, don't need to use conduit for code.
I'll look into the "Ceiling Max".

Thanks
Al E

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The Ceiling Max uses the same ceiling tiles, so I think the acoustics are the same. The advantage of the Ceiling Max system is it saves you at least 4" of ceiling height. I was referring to using conduit for future running of wires for convenience, not due to any codes.

Al_E

Auditioning
Jim
What size conduit would be recommeneded?
Can I get it in plastic at the major home centers?

Thanks
Al

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
Why would you run conduit in a drop ceiling? If you are looking at running wires in the future, a drop ceiling makes it a cinch. Just make sure you are getting wires that are rated for ceiling and wall use. Just tack your wires to the under side of the joists in stead of conduit taking up so much room or worse yet drilling holes in your joists for large diameter conduit runs...

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Sheetrocking and insulating the room will drastically improve the acoustics of your room. It will also make late night movie watching less of an intrusion on those who are sleeping.

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I would say you may have to make a frame to go around your water lines. This isn't to difficult. The walls should be with 2x4's and this shouldn't be a problem. Definitely make sure you have conduit or PVC pipes in the ceiling or beind walls for running wiring or adding more later. Looks good.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks