Any thoughts on The Stuntman?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arvin_C, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Arvin_C

Arvin_C Agent

Hello. [​IMG]
    Any thoughts, raves or nays on this "cult-classic" movie?
    I have not seen the movie and have no way of renting it (My local renters do not have it on dvd and have not had it on VHS in some time.), but I from what little I have heard, it's supposed to be a pretty good movie.
    Arvin [​IMG]

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

The Stunt Man is a movie that requires multiple viewings. I suggest you go ahead and pick it up. Best Buy has (or had) the limited edition for $19.99. The movie looks and sounds pretty good and has some nice extras. The documentary The Sinister Saga of Making "The Stunt Man" is terrific in that it details how hard director Richard Rush had to fight in order to get this movie made.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

12-ish years ago IIRC, when it played on cable TV all the time, this was one of my absolute favorite movies. I tuned in every chance I could get.

I've picked up the Limited Edition, but haven't watched it yet. I'm waiting for:

A) Chance to watch it without interuptions, and

B) Hopefully a chance for the wife to watch it with me. I think and hope she'll enjoy it as much as I did.

It's a spectacular film. I just know I'll enjoy the DVD all the more!

4. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

"How tall is King Kong?"

I love this movie & started watching the disc yesterday in my MD's waiting room on the ole Pioneer LC10. Of course, this would be the one time the doc is running early and I only saw about 10 minutes of it. I won't pass judgement on picture or sound quality on the portable, but the movie itself sucked me right in! The Limited Edition is a good value, too. Mine is #16299 or 100000 copies. I hope they sell 'em all!

5. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

6. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Hi,

7. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

The stuntman received three well deserved oscar nominations for best director, best screenplay, and a best actor nomination for Peter O'toole. A very intelligent and literate screenplay, this film takes some jabs at Hollywood and the whole movie-making process. Terrific performances from O'toole, Steve Railsback, Barbara Hershey, and an especially nice turn by Allen Garfield as a long-suffering screenwriter.

The film elements seem a little shaky as there is considerable film grain, but I dub the picture quality acceptable. This isn't an audio-visual reference disc, but if you want to impress your friends with a little seen, cleverly written flic about the film industry, I don't know of any that are better.

8. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Loved this film when I originally saw it on release at the theatres. Waiting for the perfect time to sit down and watch my LE! Definite must-see, any way you can!

9. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

Christian, you're right. Fell asleep at the wheel on that one. Don't know how. Might have something to do with the late nights. Thanks.

10. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I had read what a great movie The Stuntman was supposed to be, and I'd wanted to see it for a long time. When I saw the 2-disc set at Best Buy for $19.99, I picked it up.
    I was very underwhelmed. It wasn't bad exactly, but I sure didn't think it was great. It was actually kind of boring. (Also, I thought it had a kind of 70's made-for-TV quality. I almost expected Columbo to walk in and arrest the bad guy.)
    However, I am glad I bought the DVD. Why? I paid $19.99, and I got $27.50 for it on eBay. [​IMG]

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I saw it at the movies when it came out (by the sound of this I must have been only HTF person to do so) and LOVED it. The first viewing of the DVD didn't quite match my expectations -- I think that the ins and outs of the movie business are much less of a mystery now than they were 20 years ago.

It is totally worth it though if nothing else just to watch Peter O'Toole chew scenery.

Ted

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

13. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I saw it at the movies when it came out (by the sound of this I must have been only HTF person to do so)

14. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

The film starts out really well, and quickly gets boring. It's badly done deconstructivist cinema, not like the way Hitchcock, De Palma, or even Argento in Opera play with reality to present the lure of film as voyeurism. Comparatively Stunt Man feels like an academic exercise.

What really did it for me though was the documentary on the second disc, probably the most self-indulgent pile of crap I've seen all year. Literally, it's two painful hours of director Richard Rush hailing The Stunt Man as a masterpiece while seeming incredibly bitter that he isn't more famous.

Mark

15. Rain

Rain Producer

Well, I couldn't disagree more with Mark. [​IMG]
    I watched the film for the first time ever on DVD and, though I want to view it more times to absorb everything, I certainly felt as though I was observing something great.
    True, Hitch often played around with trapping his characters in alternate "realities"--from their perspective anyway. But tell me, has anyone actually thought that Cary Grant WAS George Kaplan upon their first viewing of North by Northwest? If so, that misconception would be decidedly short-lived, given Hitch's fondness for giving most of the secrets away half way through the film. Hitch's greatness came from acheiving suspense, despite filling the audience in on much of what was going on.
    I'm certainly not belittling Hitch's greatness as a filmmaker, but we're talking apples and oranges here.
    The Stunt Man goes well beyond this. The characters and their motivations are constantly in question. The film not only places it's characters into an alternate "reality," but sucessfully plants the viewer there as well. You're never quite sure what film you are watching. The end result is endlessly compelling.
    As for the documentary, I found it rather amusing and tongue-in-cheek. I didn't get the impression that Rush was claiming to be a great director by any stretch of the imagination, but he's clearly proud of his masterpiece, as he should be. I suspect he knows he has never made, nor likely will he ever make, a film as great as The Stunt Man.

16. Winston Walker

Guys, who is selling this on DVD online? I've tried a few stores, and nobody has it listed.

Win