any thoughts on the Sony TA-N9000ES amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastien David, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

hi,

after much consideration and a lot of help from you guys (thanks!), I have decided to go with the Denon 3802 over the 4802 for my future Klipsch RF-7/RC-7 speakers.

I am now considering outboard amplification, either for now or the near future, knowing full well I will never be completely satisfied with the level of performance the 3802 offers, and knowing that some good separates solutions could be had for the same price as a 4802.

Therefore, I am now looking at the Sony TA-N9000ES amplifier. The specs look impressive, people all over the internet and on this forum seem to like it, and it is available to me. It seems to qualify, but I have a few questions:

-if you have it or have auditioned it, how is it? looking for any relevant info here.

-would the sound be too harsh, or aggressive, for my horn-loaded Klipsch?

-how about the following solution: running the amp in its bridged 3-channel mode (200 watts L/R and 120 watts for the center) and using the 3802's amplification for the rear and rear surround channels?? I would think that it would fit my speaker combo and philosophy perfectly, no? (lots of money in the front, the rears aren't as important, they need to be there but they don't need to be as accurate/musical/powerful as the fronts because of the limited amounts and voulmes of sound coming out of them)

i would of course use the 3802 for all pre/pro functions, as I hear it is often used and quite good at it.

2. Razvan V

Razvan V Stunt Coordinator

Sebastien,

I tried the combo Denon 3802/Sony TA-N9000ES and it sounds much better than the 3802 by itself. However, if I were you I wouldn't buy the 3802. Here's why: a few months ago while looking for a new receiver I auditioned a lot of receivers at home: Sony DA777ES, Marantz 18EX, B&K 307, Onkyo 696, Denon 3802, Kenwood Sovereign, a Harman Kardon - 310?. The Denon 3802 had the worst sound of all in both stereo and surround. Even with the Sony 9000 amp it sounded worse than the Sony DA777ES receiver by itself for example.

Instead of buying a receiver I decided to buy two Sony TA-N9000ES amps and now I'm waiting for the Outlaw 950 preamp to be released.

In your case I'm pretty sure that the combo Outlaw 950/Sony TA-N9000ES would be MUCH better than the combo Denon 3802/Sony TA-N9000ES.

Razvan

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I would *not* buy that Sony amp. Here's why:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/fram...AN9000ES.shtml
    It is underpowered, and there are definate reliability issues with it.
    If I were you, I'd spend your money on B&K, Acurus, Rotel, Outlaw, etc, for amplification.

4. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I've got 2 of the TA-N9Ks running in 3-channel (BTL+1) mode. They're built like tanks, and I'm really happy with them. I use the extra 2 channel BTL for stereo SACD, which is wonderful.

For the (street) price, they're hard to beat.

HOWEVER, it would be a good idea to audition it with the same speakers as you will be using. I'm getting good results with my B&Ws, but you'll get a very different sound with the Klipsches.

5. Sebastien David

bump

6. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Hello,

I used to have the tan9k amp til I sold it to Jim the above poster. I loved the amp, and had it coupled with some Klipsch towers. I thought it was a great match and did not find it to bright. When I upgraded my speakers to Paradigm studio 100's I found that at higher volumes the amp seemed to strugle a little bit. For a speaker with high sensitivity it is a terrific amp, or if you do like what Jim is doing and run multiple in the BTL mode it is great. I chose to go another way and went with an Anthem MCA5 for my new speakers. Good Luck

Brandon

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    for the price, and considering that link about the failing Sonys, go with the Outlaw 5-channel amp. it's very highly regarded as far as i've read.

8. Sebastien David

thomas,

unfortunately my options are quite limited. I want to buy something that my store carries because I can get the stuff at cost and have a limited budget, and the Outlaw piece would cost me a huge bundle because of the exchange rate and brokerage fees/taxes.

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Sebastion- Unless you can get a good deal in Niagara Falls, Buffalo, or maybe somewhere in Vermont, and just "spirit" it back across the border... [​IMG]
    Or, you may want to check out ebay, Audiogon.com, etc., for some good deals...

10. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Sebastion,

I am using a Denon 3801 as a preamp with the receiver driving the rears with good results. Great for SACD, 5 channel stereo, and lots of format and channel support for HT. I think the Denon is a little cleaner as a preamp than my Sony ES. I personally couldn't live with an Onkyo 696 as a preamp however.

If you can't get the Sony amp cheaply I would probably pass on it and take a look at Parasound and maybe Anthem. You shouldn't need all that much power to drive the Klipsch.

11. Sebastien David

bump

any others?

12. Jim Christian

Jim Christian Stunt Coordinator