What's new

Any thoughts on the Sony BDP s3700? (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So it looks like I need to go region free for a blu ray player. The local video store has the bdp s3700 for sale, but all the google searching I've tried come up dry for reviews (beyond Amazon, which I really, really take with a grain of salt). I was wondering if anyone here had one or had experience with it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have no direct experience of the S3700 although I do have the S7200 which I assume is the predecessor. I have three Sony Blu-ray players and I have never had a problem with any of them. They really are reliable plug-and-play equipment.

You are not likely to go wrong with a Sony Blu-ray player. If this one does what you need it to do, buy it.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Okay, sounds like it might be a winner then. At least as soon as I get back from my trip next month and my credit card cools off. :)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
So it looks like I need to go region free for a blu ray player. The local video store has the bdp s3700 for sale, but all the google searching I've tried come up dry for reviews (beyond Amazon, which I really, really take with a grain of salt). I was wondering if anyone here had one or had experience with it.

I need a new BD player too.

Is this machine really region free?

I can't find anything supporting that.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I need a new BD player too.

Is this machine really region free?

I can't find anything supporting that.
No Blu-ray player comes region free from the manufacturer. They have to be modified by a second party (usually a retailer). You have to buy it from an outfit that deals with region free players.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
No Blu-ray player comes region free from the manufacturer. They have to be modified by a second party (usually a retailer). You have to buy it from an outfit that deals with region free players.

Thanks. That's what I thought too. When Josh said "local video store" had it for sale, I wrongly interpreted that as they might now be available at stores.

I understand the "why" of region coding, but it certainly wish it would go away. I'm grateful there's no region coding on books and CDs.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Hey Tony. I just ordered this BDP last night to replace one that I killed. How are you liking it so far?

I'm a bit late to the party, but I bought the Costco version of this player a couple of months ago. No 4K or 3D, but for Blu-ray, upscaled DVD and CD playback and HD streaming from the usual apps , I think it works well. It's a stripped-down machine with no front panel display. I listen to a lot of classical CDs. The only way to see which track is playing is to "watch" the machine as a Blu-ray player. I can see the Gracenote track information when I do that. Using it as a CD player without the TV, I'm "in the dark."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks