Any thoughts on the Pioneer Elite 45a?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Colin+M, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Colin+M

Colin+M Stunt Coordinator

I have been trying to decide if this player is worth upgrading to from the Pioneer 578a.

I am fairly new into the Hi-rez audio and i am wanting to get my feet wet. I can get a good deal on the Elite, is it noticeably different in performance from the 578a? Or should I just stick with the 578a?

Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated

Colin

2. John S

John S Producer

Hard to imagine the price point jump would be justified on the output performance side. I know a few SACD and DVD-A'rs that sware by their Pioneer 578a's.....

Anything in particular you would like to have improvement on? Just a curious thing for me, I don't even do these advance multi-channel formats yet myself.

Maybe bass mgt is improved???

3. Colin+M

I was really just wanting to improve on the audio side, i don't have a Digital TV(yet). The price difference between the 2 would be about 75 dollars for me. I just thought since the Elite 45a had 3 DAC's it might "sound" better. Do you think it would even make an audible difference or am i just splitting hairs here?

Colin

4. John S

John S Producer

I think the step on on build quality is probably worth the $75 price difference. Could you pick out the difference reliably in a blind test of the two? Now that is a tough one to answer. I'm surprised some of the Multi-Channel audio people here have not chimmed in. I can really only say I know two people that use the 578a and seem pretty darn impressed with it.

5. Colin+M

Thanks John for you help! Now i've added the Onkyo SP502 and Yamaha dvd-750 to my short list. Any thoughts?[​IMG]

6. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I say yes it would be a better jump from the 578 as the 578 is not a very good build quality. the DACS are not very good and high reso music is anything but compared to other players.

make an equal leap price wise! take the 578 and sell it. buy the previous 563A model on ebay. pioneerelectronics sells refurbs cheap on ebay. its a much better player than the 578. better DACS( burr brown dacs) and philips quality DSD decoding. and does not convert high reso to lower pcm.

I thought of upgrading my 563A to the 45A but the burr brown crystal DACS which are better than the 17XX ? burr brown DACS found in the 563A(which is no slacker) I thought was not worth the jump and both players have poor Bass Management! you would think for an elite player BM would be better but it is not.

I say go with the 563A. check locall for demo units. I got my open box for $70!