Any thoughts on the new Sony 46WT500? Expert Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Yip, Dec 8, 2002.

1. James Yip

James Yip Auditioning

Hi this is my first post and I thought that all your experts might give me some friendly advice. I'm purchasing a new TV and I'm looking for a 40" to 50" TV for mostly watching DVD's, cable and playing Xbox and PS2. My budget can't be higher than $2500. I looked around and the Sony 46WT500 looks nice and I also checked out the Samsung HCM4215WX.

I compared both TV's in Best Buy and the samsung looks better but I don't know if that's the case because I know Best Buy usually has Factory settings, looked like all the TV's were coming from the same feed also. Please help! Thank you in advance!

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The WT500 should be pretty much the same as last year's HW40 series. I have a KP57HW40 and love it. Looked quite good out of the box with just an AVIA calibration. Has about 15% red push as delivered, easily eliminated in the service menu. Has no SVM in PRO mode, and it can be reduced or eliminated in other modes in the service menu--no need to open up the set and clip or unplug wires. Very good color rendition--vivid but also displays subtle color differences in fleshtones very nicely.

Never judge a set by how it looks in the store, too many variables involving set adjustments and quality of signal sources.

3. James Yip

James Yip Auditioning

Thanks Steve, that helped alot. I just have to make sure it'll fit through a regular sized door because it's 24" deep which is cutting it close, and it's a heavy son of a gun. I'll need to buy an avia disc though, I did see it in amazon for $37 so I'll probably buy it there unless I see it somewhere else for cheaper. Thanks again.