Any thoughts on the new Samsung 47" 16:9 RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Nov 25, 2001.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

2. andyg

andyg Agent

Someone at work just purchased that set a few weeks ago. I suggested a Toshiba since I have had good experience with their DTV sets as well as they have had several years to work out the bugs in their sets.

He was very dissapointed in the Samsungs picture. Although he is using a digital cable feed as the source, the picture was more pixalated that a 57" DTV Toshiba I once owned. Since it was cable thought, one could expect some picture problems.

DVD through component had more problems than expected. From what I could see, the set was lacking a 3/2 pulldown on the line doubler. The picture during fast movement had all the symptoms of no 3/2 pulldown. All the info I could find on the Samsung showed there is no 3/2 circuit in the line doubler. Using VE or AVIA could not resolve the issue. If he had a progressive DVD player this may have not been a problem.

He has since returned the set and decided to spend another $400 to get a comparable sized Toshiba. I am assuming the line doubler in the Samsung was not of the best quality.

---Andy Garabedian

3. Keith Gereghty

I have seen this rptv at two BB and think the picture looks pretty good or better than most of the other rptv including Sony,Toshiba and Panasonic, but I did not check out all the specs on the set. The set did have a small footprint like Toshiba. One thing they did get right was the screen shield. I was hard to tell if there was even one on the set...it blew away the almost mirror-like Toshiba shield.