Any thoughts on RCA rear-projection HDTVs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Harwood, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Matt Harwood

Matt Harwood Agent

I'm looking to replace my aged Hitachi 52" big screen with a 4:3 HD unit. I've seen the RCA D52130 for around $2000. I haven't seen anyone raving about RCA units, however, and wonder if I should continue to shop around or go for it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Matt

The Hitachi 53UDX10B 4:3 came in first in the Consumer Reports test of big screens. Also was first in reliability. Sounds like a winner to me. $2250 on a Sears 10% off day.

Artie

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

RCA has a really bad rep for quality, especially on their infamous 38" direct view HD set. I'd stay away and stick to Hitachi, Mitsubishi, or Pioneer.
    UEC sells remanufactured (and rewarrantied) Hitachis at really low prices. Check them out: http://www.uecweb.com .

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I saw a 43" RCA HDTV, and right beside it was a Toshiba 50' RPTV (50H71)... They were both around the same price, but the toshiba was $100 more expensive...
    Side by side, the toshiba totally blew the RCA away. I dunno if they didnt set it up properly, but i did manage to set the Toshiba to Movie Mode. The clarity of the Toshiba shamed the RCA, which was blurry, and the colors were way off.
    I'd take a look at the Hitatchis as well.. My friend has the 53" HDTV from them, it looked great with a Pioneer Interlaced DVD Player [​IMG]

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

In terms of pure image quality, the sets are pretty decent.

But I wouldn't trust it long term ... workmanship and durability is suspect ...

Regards

6. Matt Harwood

Matt Harwood Agent

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll keep shopping around for one of the others mentioned.

I love this place. Thanks again.