What's new

Any thoughts on PAPER CONES compared to METAL./ALUMINUM CONES (1 Viewer)

Dodie

Agent
Is there any big difference between paper cones and metal or aluminum cones? What could be some advantages and disadvantages on both types of cones? Do they reproduce sound differently? And which one is more preferable paper or metal/aluminum?

terence

Supporting Actor
Quality midrange and bass drivers are usually constructed from Kevlar, Aerogel, Aluminum, or Polypropylene materials, which have very high strength/weight ratios and tend to be immune from flexing during large excursions. This allows the driver to react quickly during transitions in music and minimizes driver distortion.

Some woofers achieve excellent sonic performance when constructed from high quality paper laminates. If done right, paper woofers can outperform many exotic drivers made from fancier materials.

I hope this helps you out.

John Doran

Screenwriter
there was an interesting white paper by john dunlavy that dealt with this topic - he argued that paper/carbon laminates were the best materials for quality speaker-cone construction.

unfortunately the paper is now inaccessible on the dunlavy website since the company has ceased operations and is out of business...

- jd

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Paper and it's variants (Spruce Pulp, Paper/Kevlar, Paper/
Carbon, Paper/Hemp) are very suitable for low frequency
drivers (sub woofer cones) and even Mid Ranges.
Tweeter domes are best left to the Silks, Titaniums, Polymers
etc..
Great Mids can also be metal if they are well executed.
My mids are dual 5.25" Magnesium - Aluminium Alloy machined
out of one piece (no dust cap) ultra light and ultra stiff.
I wouldn't trade them for Paper, that's just me :)

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
You can make good sounding speakers out of paper or metals, the trick is to design the speaker and especially the crossovers properly. Also the motors, surrounds, baskets and other parts of the driver all have an influence. Paper tends to be more forgiving than metal.
That said, unlike Mr Cheney I have a preference for metal drivers, but not tweeters. I also think they look cooler.
If you have the time, search through this site:
www.linkwitzlab.com
to see why another famous designer prefers certain magnesium alloy cones.
Steve

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
The Seas magnesium cones are great because they only have one resonance peak, which is easily controlled. Mr. cheney doesn't use cones for anything other then bass nowadays. He's moved on to push/pull neodymium ribbons.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Although metal cones are extremely rigid (a good thing), they are also prone to ringing at certain frequencies. It is important that the driver and speaker (inc. crossover) are designed with this in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread