Any thoughts on my router problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Frezon, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I have been using a Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 router for a year or so now without problems...until now.
    I have a cable modem with Roadrunner. This gets directed to the hub which then sends the signal to my two networked computers. Pretty simple.
    The problem is now I have an intermittent break-up of the signal from the hub to my main computer. I can watch it visually as the LED lights on the hub go out. It seems to be getting worse. Meanwhile, the signal to my second computer has no problem whatsoever.
    The cable signal itself seems fine. I also have it coming into a TV tuner on my main machine. The fact that the internet access to the other machine is fine leads me to believe it must be either the cord between the hub to my main machine or the ethernet card in the main machine itself.
    However, I have replaced the cord three times. The card is the one installed by the Roadrunner tech--not a Linksys card. I don't know what brand it is, but it shows up in my device manager as a GFC2204.
    Do ethernet cards have a history of going bad? Any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated. Its getting to the point where I can rarely connect to the internet without interruption. It almost takes me back to my dial-up/AOL days! [​IMG] I need my HTF!
    P.S. I should maybe also mention that I've got Norton Internet Security 2002 running on my machine with firewall protection. But, again, I have made no changes which should affect this situation.
    P.P.S. *Edit* Maybe I should also add that I have tried some obvious things like re-installing the ethernet card and moving it around in different slots inside the computer. I have also tried the cord in different jacks in the hub. Oh, and I'm running Windows ME.

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

This probably won't help out much but...does your router have a built in firewall? Is so the first thing I would try is disable to Norton Firewall software your using. You might even have to unintstall it to be sure. I had a problem similar to this a few years ago (developmemt related) and I had a software firewall program that was the culprit. Worth a try...

3. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Try a different ethernet cord.

4. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I'll bet you a buffalo nickel that it is the network card in your PC going bad. I have had several of them crap out on me. An easy test would be to swap the cards in your 2 PC's. I bet your main PC will then work fine and the other one will start having these problems.
    You can get 10/100 network cards for as low as $5 online nowadays. http://www.newegg.com is my vendor of choice lately.
    Jeff

5. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    An easy way to verify if the problem is in your NIC...when you lose your internet connection, can you still see your other computer. If you can, it is not your NIC, if you can't see the other computer, than it is your NIC. The link below is for the Linksys Knowledge Base...it has helped me considerably with [email protected] problems...got them all fixed and I have been running problem free for months...
    http://kb.linksys.com/cgi-bin/om_isa...clientID=88333
    Hope this helps...
    Tim K.

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Did you try a different port on the hub?

7. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

You could also just try uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC drivers. If the problems still happen, swap the card out for another one.

8. Jeff Lehr

Jeff Lehr Stunt Coordinator

Not necessarily. I used to keep losing communication with my computers until I figured out it was because I was running Zonealarm. Try disabling Norton Security and see if you still have the same problems.

9. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

Definitely need to check that. Because you may have a bad port in the router.

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator