What's new

Any Thoughts On Dynaudio Contour 3.3's? (1 Viewer)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I was thinking about retiring my old Klipsch Cornwalls in favor of a set of B&W N802's, when I just happened to hear a set of 3.3's at a local stereo shop and was immediately blown away.

I was wondering if anyone has a set of these and what your thoughts are.

I tell you that I was all but ready to start shoppin' hard for the B&W's until I heard these.

KeithR

Second Unit
New Contour series is out in March, so I would wait.

The 3.3s are good, but honestly I think the 3.0s are better. Both take a lot of amp to drive to reference levels, so keep this in consideration.

The Anniversary 25 is the Dyn speaker of the moment, as it has the Esotar tweeter which none of the Contours do.

Compared to the 802s, the Dyn are a much different house sound that I like better too :)

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
The 3.3 are absolutely World Class loudspeakers. They would be my 1st choice for a large room. The new Countours will be great but a Lot ot retailers are blowing out the current line. You should find them under well under $5K now, look for demo's and used also. The replacements will be well over $7K.

It does'nt get any better. We know, Do you? ;)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I wouldn't wait for the new series either, higher price and all. Perhaps you could try to cut a deal on the dealer's demo models so you can free up room for him to bring in the new model.

Matthew_Ba

Grip
I also started my search with B&W speakers. I was looking at 805 or 804 though. I read around saw that alot of people had suggested checking out Revel if your looking at the B&W so I found a dealer near me that had them. They also happened to have Dynaudio that wasn't even on my radar.

Wow! I was blown away. I love my 1.3SE as mains and countour center and 1.1s for my surrounds. I listened to them just to have something to compare to the Revels and immediately said the Revels are out.

I have not given the 3.3s a serious listen as they were outside my range but I love everything I have heard from Dynaudio. I would second the suggestion of at least listening to the Special 25s. If they are even better than the SEs I have they will have plenty of low end (given proper amplification).

BruceD

Screenwriter
The Anniversary 25 is the Dyn speaker of the moment, as it has the Esotar tweeter which none of the Contours do.
Well, not quite true. The Dynaudio Contour 2.8 tower has the same Esotar tweeter as the Confidence line of Dynaudio speakers of the same period.

About 4 years ago I auditioned the Contour 1.3 MkII, the Contour 1.8, the Contour 2.8, and the Confidence 5, and many of the B&Ws (not to my liking at all) I can't really tell you much about the 3.0 or 3.3.

Needless to say, I bought the Contour 2.8

But, now I would probably opt for the NEW Anniversary 25 or a pair of used Contour 2.8 if I could find them.

That Esotar tweeter really is good. Another reason I liked the Contour 2.8, is that it isn't rear-ported like the other Contours, but instead uses a front firing 8" Passive Radiator.

Jeff_King

Grip
Matt

about what should I be expecting to pay for 1.3SE or 1.4?
I am looking into buying a pair of bookshelf speakers to use as my main channels.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Al:

Detailed reviews of the 3.3 and 3.0, and other Dynaudio loudspeakers, are available in the archive section of Stereophile.com (see the archive link on the left side of their homepage).

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
Dynaudio is the rising star of the speaker world. They are good excellent across the whole line. Most interesting is that they seem to have great products for each price point; from affordable to price-no-object..

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks