Any thoughts, info on Mission or Monitor Audio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pamela, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I'm looking to replace the Polk RT25i-s in my bedroom set-up (two-channel). I really wanted to check out the Monitor Audio Bronze 1, but apparently they don't make the Bronze line anymore. I found the Silver 2i for a great price, but not a whole lot of info on them. I've searched the internet high and low, and few things I did find were not that glowing. Any other Monitors I should look at (bookshelf)? Anyone have the Silver 2i?

I also want to check out the Mission 781, but again, not too much info on that speaker. Actually, not too much info on Mission, period. Don't read much about them on the boards, either. Any thoughts or experiences with these speakers?

The third on on my list, Mordaunt Short 902, has gotten some good reviews, but I can't even find a retailer for them. Might have to scratch those off my list.

Of course, I could pull my Paradigm Minimonitors (rears) from my main system, replace them with the Studios 20 (to match the 40s fronts) and put the Minimonitors in bedroom.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

MA introduced a new bronze series. The B1 lists at $259 and the B2 at $300. I have ot heard them but the Gold series is great. I think that MA is a good company that knows what they are doing.

-rob

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks Rob. Do you know when they will be out, or if they are out? There is nothing about the bronze series on their web site, and the etailers that sold MA didn't have anything.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Here's some info about Monitor Audio's new Bronze series.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Why did I think the Bronze monitors were priced higher than that [​IMG]. Oh well, guess my suggestions are a little higher than you are looking at.

7. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

I'm a huge fan of Mission speakers, and in fact I just purchased the 783's. Used to own the 771's, which is a step down from the 781 from what I've read.

These are British speakers, and they sell more in Europe and have a solid following in Asia and Australia. FYI they were distributed by Denon here in the US until this past month, and I don't know if they've got a new partner yet. This may make you want to hold off, but hope not, as they're fantastic. There's some British mag called What Hi-Fi that has some reviews, I believe.

The sound is quite transparent, with a slight emphasis on the upper midrange. The bass on these speakers tends to be tight, but not too powerful or boomy. My 771's would have been fine for a casual bedroom system, but in a living room they definitely needed a subwoofer to round them out.

Check out Audio Advisor, as I think they're having a sale on these right now, and you can get some high quality units at a great price. Good luck.

8. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

I read about the new Bronze series recently in S&V. I found there is more info on theirUK site

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    as Doug said, What HiFi has several reviews on Missions. off the top of my head, the 780s won their speaker of the year (for it's price range) 2 years running, before finally being surpassed by (I think) a KEF speaker.
    I have the 782s, as part of the so-called Cinema 8 series. the 782s are the "little brother" to Doug's 783s, still tower speakers but a little smaller so they are only rated to go down to 48Hz. I believe the 782s won European Loudspeaker of the Year from EISA or something like that (vaguely remember seeing this in the promo material at the shop). personally, I'm quite happy with them, but I"m a tin-eared newbie so take that with a pinch of salt [​IMG]
    FWIW, general impression is that they're quite highly rated in the UK mags, but YMMV. having said that, the new Mission M5 series is not highly rated.

10. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Pamela,
    Not sure what the costs are in US, but Mission make very good quality speakers, and the 78 series in particular have been singled out for its excellent midrange qualities. Monitor Audio Silver series are pretty good too, I have only heard the previous generation Silver 5i and 8i, but they had a little too much high-frequency emphasis for my taste and the internal cabinet construction was a little suspect. However, some very positive reviews in HiFi Choice and What Hi-Fi magazines. Check out also www.ecoustics.com and click on speakers for reviews of Mission and Monitor Audio speakers by various online and hard-copy magazines.
    Cheers,
    Mike

11. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I am still in love with my Monitor Audio Silver 5i and 3i speakers!

If your situation permits (it may not since you are doing this in a bedroom) you might consider the 5i's which are being replaced by a new line. They can be purchased for $569 a pair at SoundCity.com with FREE shipping! They originally listed for $1000.00 per pair.

You may also want to consider the Silver 3i's which are bookshelf speakers, but are on the large side. They are also being discontinued so can be had quite cheaply at $399.00. Highly recommended!

12. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I know this much any Denon dealer is also an authorized Mission dealer as well (of course having it in stock is another story). I prefer the Mission sound over Monitor as everytime I've listened to MA (but then the last time was about 2+ years ago and it was the Silver series) it just seemed too bright and thin (compared to the Nht, Mission, and Kef that was in the room) compared to a similar price competition (the electronics was Nad at the time if I remember correctly).

13. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

To me, the Mission's and Kef's that I listened to sounded "muddy" compared to the Monitor Audio's.

While the MA's might "lean" towards the bright side, I don't think they are overly bright by any means.

14. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    FWIW, the latest issue of What HiFi has a round up of speakers in the 400-600 pound range. this is their review of the Mission 781:-

15. Stephan

Stephan Auditioning

I have been comparing three bookshelf speakers from Monitor Audio at home, hooked up to my Marantz SR 7000.
    - New Brone 2: Good budget speaker, tight bass, but not too detailed mids and highs, lacking a bit of transparency
    - 'Old' Silver 3i: Fine mids and highs, very nice sounding, but lacking any serious bass
    - New Silver S1: Same price as the 3i, but what a difference: This is an incredible bookshelf speaker. Really deep, tight bass, smooth mids & highs combined with a luxury real- wood finish.
    I would most definitely go for the new Silver S Series, more details available at www.monitor-audio.co.uk
    Cheers,
    S.

16. Bill RE

Bill RE Extra

I purchased the 781's earlier this year and I have been very pleased with the performance. I have been using these in my family room for casual stereo listening. I am in the process building a home theater in my basement and just for fun I compared the Mission's to Paradigm Studio 40's. As expected the Studio 40's were a better sounding speaker but the 781's held their own. I would agree with the comment about the "muddy bass" but with a little tweaking of the room placement and bass output from my receiver, I was able to improve this. I think you would be happy with these.