Any thoughts about using a center channel speaker for the rear surround?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Frank La Rocca, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Frank La Rocca

Here are the Paradigm Reference speakers that I have:
    Studio 60’s V.2 Front
    Studio CC V.2. Center
    Studio ADP V.2. Dipole Side Surrounds
    Studio 20’s V.2. Rear Surround
    PW2200 Subwoofer

I just purchased a DenonAVR4802 Receiver, which lets me chose between two sets of side surround speakers, Monopoles vs. Dipoles, for Music vs. Movies. So now the 20’s which I planned on using for the rears will be used for the side surrounds when listening to music and I’ll use the ADP’s for watching movies.
    My question is now what do I get for the Rear’s? Do I get another pair of 20’s for a true 7.1 setup? Or could I get away with getting another Studio CC for the rear surround, since I hear the rear channel is mono anyway can I use a single center channel speaker or would I be missing all that much with ?
    Then comes the questions about placement. Can I put a wide center channel on a single stand or would I need two side by side stands. Any thought or comments would be appreciated.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have not heard the particular Paradigm center speaker you mention. But many of the better center speakers have been optimized to reproduce voice and especially to reproduce speech with clarity.

There is no reason for this ability in a rear center channel.

Therefore, if the center is more expensive than a single rear surround, I would see no reason to go with the center—a single Studio 20 ought to suffice. Or two—it is sort of how you feel about the sound.