Any thought of the AV1's against the AV1+'s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Lynch, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Michael Lynch

Michael Lynch Auditioning

I'm looking to build 2 mains and a sub to start. I don't have a home theater setup yet so they will be used for music till I can build a center and surrounds.

Q1: How do the AV1's compare to the AV1+'s? I've searched but haven't found them directly compared.

Q2: If the AV1+'s are that much better would it be a waste to just build the AV1's and move them to the rear when a new front stage is built?

Just curious what those who have heard both think.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Michael,

I've built and heard both but have not yet had a chance to compare the two. They both sound excellent with very smooth midrange and good bass extension for a 5.25" driver. Obviously the A/V-1+ will have more bass output with it's dual drivers, but also consider that it is a 4 ohm rated speaker. So make sure your amps/receiver can handle the load.

I personally think building the A/V-1's first and then moving them to the rear when you get the A/V-1+'s is a great idea.

Brian

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Then again, if he's building these then I say why settle for less bass extension at first. He may as well benefit by having not just matching timbre all around but also matching dynamics as well.
    Unless rear bass extension (no pun intended) is something that you find to be negative, I say you build two of the AV1+'s and see if you like them and then if you do, you build the remaining matching three. Now if size won't permit you to have the AV1+'s as surrounds then go for the AV1's of course.
    Revisiting the "rear bass extension" statement above, I think a little pun was intended. [​IMG] Infact I kind of like a little extension when it comes to the rear so I officially take my "No pun intended" back. Yes. Pun was definitely intended. Long live J-lo and Shakira!!! [​IMG]

4. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

WOW! It's 7am Brooklyn time and Martice is posting about booty puns comparing speakers. Not that there's anything wrong w/ what he said [​IMG]
    If you don't mind spending the extra getting the + model, then go for it all around. I also suggest getting a pair built to try first. I have the AV1+ and they are great. I have not heard the AV1 so I can't help compare them.
    I'm sure Brian will be able to do the comparison next week after he gets his pink slip [​IMG]
    Brian - Best of luck going full time w/ the speaker building.
    Rob

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Thanks Rob! I'm leaving for Minneapolis today at lunch time (attending CEDIA) and will be back on Sunday. All next week I'll be finishing up the 3 pairs of Alphas and then maybe I can get my A/V-1+ cabinets veneered. And of course I have to finish those demo cabinets for Danny that everyone's been waiting for!

Brian

6. Michael Lynch

Michael Lynch Auditioning

Thanks for the responses guys.

Brian - I need a new receiver so I'll just make sure it can drive a 4 ohm load if needed. I've read you use Sherwood Newcastle. Also, good luck with the "full time" endeavor.

From past posts the A/V-1's, 1+'s, and 3's as well as the Paradox line all seem to be quite good. (It's hard to see any responses other than that.) I was hoping there were more people with experience with both. Since I don't know how long it will take me to be ready to build the last 3 speakers, weather it be a center with 2 new mains or 2 surrounds, GR Research may have another kit lineup which may be interesting. (Hopefully it won't take me long!)

Martice - Bass extension is good.

Rob - This is my first kit so I wanted to try and build them myself.

Anyone else??

7. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Sorry I meant to build a pair yourself before you order a full 5/6/7.1 system. Never intended as to have someone build them for you.

Brian - don't forget to report back on the CEDIA.

Rob