Any Thomas Dolby fans out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stacey, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

Sure, you may remember him from the 80's as the strange guy with the box on his head in the "Hyperactive" video but does anyone here actually have a deeper appreciation for his work?

He hasen't done alot of albums, but what he has done I just absolutely love.

His Album discography includes:

"Golden Age Of wireless"

"Blinded me with Science"

"The Flat Earth"

"Aliens Ate My Buick"

"Astronauts And Heritics"

He also did the music to a computer animation video

"Gate to The Minds Eye" and the music for the movie "Howard The Duck".

Tell me your favourite Dolby song...let me know I'm not the only one who loves this oft. forgotten artist.

2. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    He's one of my favourite artists as well. When "Aliens Ate My Buick" came out, I remember playing it to death! I've always loved how he manages to blend synthesized and organic sounds. My favourite songs of his are:

I LOVE YOU, GOODBYE

EASTERN BLOC

VALLEY OF THE MIND'S EYE

BUDAPEST BY BLIMP

SILK PYJAMAS

AIR WAVES

(THE JAPANESE CD OF "GOLDEN AGE" HAS THE LONG VERSION)

WIND POWER

DISSIDENTS

PULP CULTURE

THE ABILITY TO SWING

HYPERACTIVE (HEAVY BREATHER SUBVERSION)

THE FLAT EARTH

THE WHITE CITY

MY BRAIN IS LIKE A SIEVE

EUROPA AND THE PIRATE TWINS

FLYING NORTH

URGES

AIRHEAD

RADIO SILENCE

CLOUDBURST ON SHINGLE STREET

You also forgot his score for GOTHIC, which is quite good, though he doesn't sing on any of the tracks and a couple of the tracks "SHELLYMANIA", which sounds as if they were done entirely on the Fairlight CMI, sound a bit wobbly and too synthesized. I also have a CD single of a song he did with Ryuichi Sakamoto called FIELD WORK. The video is on his video compilation tape/laserdisc. He's also playing synths on FOREIGNER 4 and was part of Lene Lovich's band for a while (he can be heard on NEW TOY). I'd love to get his score for HOWARD THE DUCK. Also love that song DON'T TURN AWAY that he and Lea Thompson sang.

Cheers!

Harry

PULP CULTURE

3. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

My favorite Dolby has always been side one of The Flat Earth (Even on CD these three songs seem to flow together as one). My favorite of the lot is Screen Kiss.

4. andrew markworthy

His first single, Europa and the Pirate Twins remains one of the my favourites; that, and his first album. I think he went a bit off the boil when he got interested in funk. I used to have a large collection of TD rarities but sold them a few years ago when I moved out of vinyl.

5. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Harrison, I totally forgot the Gothic Soundtrack. [​IMG]
    We both also forgot he did a stint on a Joni Mitchell Album (the name of which escapes me).
    Wow...your list of faves is almost a carbon copy of mine!

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Golden Age of Wireless was the second CD I ever bought, back in 1985. I bought the 45 of "She Blinded Me With Science" way back when too.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

my faves are probably europa and the pirate twins and radio silence. both of those sings bring back some great memories. [​IMG]
    didn't he also have a lot to do with the beatnik or some other internet sound plug in thing-a-ma-jig?
    oh yeah...i also like that submarine song... [​IMG]

8. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

T.D. is one of my favorites, too. Although I'm disappointed that he hasn't done anything good since Astronauts & Heretics.

9. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    Stacey:

I think the Joni Mitchell album is DOG EAT DOG, but I'm not sure. I thought I had it, but it seems I don't.

Also, there is a CD of his remixes available. It's called "12x12" and is available at Amazon, though I'm sure other places will have it cheaper eventually.

Cheers!

Harry

10. andrew markworthy

TD also has done some producing (Prefab Sprout's 'Steve McQueen' album, plus I *think* he did some of Foreigner 4'), and has played on loads of other people's work (he was in David Bowie's band at Live Aid).

I think the reason for his silence on the album front in recent years is that he's moved on to multi-media presentations and computer graphics.

11. Kevin Fox

Kevin Fox Stunt Coordinator

David R.,

I agree completely!

'Nuff said...

12. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Well, he isn't quiet anymore...
    According to the official website he has broken his silence with a new live album.
    I listened to the snippets on CDBaby, but wasn't that impressed, think I'll pick up the 12 x 12 instead, that sounds more interesting. His first two albums are great, but Astronauts and Heretics wasn't bad either.

13. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I think I already have most everything on 12x12. The first 5 tracks are from the Blinded By Science EP. "Get Out Of Mix", check. "Hyperactive!"... I assume this is the 12" version, check. "Dissidents: The Search for Truth, Pt. 1", check. "May the Cube Be With You", check. "Airhead (Francois Kevorkian Mix)"... I've got like 10 different mixes of Airhead, I'm sure this is one of them. "Hot Sauce (Extended Mix)", check. "My Brain is Like a Sieve (Extended Version)"... d'oh! Don't have this! Not worth buying the whole disc for, though.
    Pretty nice choice of songs on that live album. No sound card here at work, but I'll give a listen later tonight. I already want it, but man, that's a pricey CD.